Looking to talk to a solo lease op.

Discussion in 'Prime' started by DDFLD, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Highway101

Highway101 Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    Good numbers Slim, great job.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Highway101

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    Truth, but everyone is different, so you can't compare them. I can guarantee you that both you and I run differently, I drive 55 (my choice), you may not, I may shift a different shift points than you, I may shift different on hills than you. My FM may give me different loads than you as he knows me better than you and knows what loads and runs I like. I like long runs, but if I was a L/O I would be running short run loads in the N/E or Midwest.
    I don't need health insurance, and also have a minimum of taxes taken out. So my pay is going to be different than yours hands down. Just fuel savings alone would be huge.
    Remember all Prime loads are estimated at 50 MPH, so whats the hurry LOL.

4. Poacher

Poacher Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Arkansas
  5. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ill go ahead and post some numbers on this to give you guys an example of what's possible here at prime. [​IMG]This is a 5 week period, 5 checks from 1/15-2/12. I didn't include the gross or the miles just the net revenue where it says "net pay dd (direct deposit)". But here's a disclaimer I DO NOT LEASE MY TRUCK, I own my equipment and its paid for so there isn't a truck payment withdrawn. However the O/O contract is basically the same as L/O contract so if you want to know what the net would be if I were leasing just subtract about $1000 for the truck/apu payment. Prime also takes a few cents/mile from L/O's for the lease completion bonus. Also we are all paying for permits right now ($1950 taken out @ 100/week until paid). I personally have $125/week taken out and put into a maintenance fund. Also I AM SOLO AND I DO NOT TRAIN. These are the last 5 weeks, and they were good weeks its more typical for me to net $2800/week. Also I went home this year for xmas if i were a L/O you could expect the entire or just about all of the first check from 1/15 to be taken to cover the lease payments from that week and the previous week. 1/15 net $2364, 1/22 net $3002, 1/29 net $3448, 2/5 net $3860, 2/12 $3550. It took me 5yrs to get to this point over that time I was a company driver, I lived in the truck, never really took time off and saved every penny until I could pay cash for equipment, I didn't get here overnight.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  6. nofreetime

Oct 22, 2013
    I have a friend that's worked for a couple mom and pops, and says he'll never do it again. The last one went out of business and still owes him $1100. The one he's at now has him in a old beat up piece of junk. He says that when he was assinged the truck the mattress had blood stains on it, he asked the owner what they were going to do about it, and was told to put a towel over it because they aren't putting any money into the truck until they start getting some revenue. The windshield wipers are secured to the wiper arm by wire. The truck wouldn't start so the company replaced just one battery, etc, etc. So many of you talk highly about mom and pop's, but me if going to work somewhere its going to be with a legitimate, established company that has the capitol to maintain the equipment, and make sure I get paid for the work I do. Not to mention I don't think I would enjoy driving equipment that looks like it was pulled out of a junkyard in Afghanistan.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    Ssand Man and darthanubis Thank this.
  7. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    There are bad mom and pops just like there are bad mega's. If you don't do your research on a company before you sign on then its on you. The company I work for has been doing it for a while and runs all new equipment. Never had a issue getting paid.

8. darthanubis

darthanubis Heavy Load Member

Jun 26, 2015
    The last 24 hours being stuck pulling Walmart trailers has me seriously considering going lease. I don't want anything to do with these people.

Is there a way to stay with Prime and not run Walmart routes. Being company for 5 years, how the heck did you do it?

If I have to go lease to tell dispatch to piss off with these Walmart routes, it's something I'm considering. I don't like that type of attitude, so maybe I'm just mad right now. But I'm entertaining my options. I have six more months to make it a year with Prime. I'd like to at least finish that. But these next six months may be picking up a short term lease.

I need you guys feedback tonight.

Thanks!

9. Highway101

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    We all pulled them when freight is short. I only pulled them one weekend, hated it, but freight was short and FM wanted to keep me running.
    If I remember correctly, even lease drivers have had to pull them for a weekend.
    Of course you can go lease, and tell your FM to piss off, LOL, but then you will be sitting for a couple of days not earning any money.

10. nofreetime

Oct 22, 2013
    There's going to be those days, its part of trucking. I never could have done it without goals and things I want to accomplish that keep me focused on whats important when those days come. If your thinking of going lease just to get out of those walmart runs you shouldn't be doing those all that often anyway?

11. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    How long have you been driving for?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.