Low voltage auto engine start for 75 bucks, who has one?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by CruisingAlong, May 15, 2016.

1. CruisingAlong

CruisingAlong Medium Load Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    Going an inexpensive route vs APU , I added a portable 10k LG air conditioning unit. It works fine off my inverter and will run about 3 hrs before it pulls the batteries low.

I'm considering going with a generator or adding a bank of batteries but really like the idea of truck starting itself , running 20 mins to recharge the battery anytime that they get low. Will 20 mins be enough? What about extra strain on alternator? Any thoughts?

Has anyone installed one of these?
    http://www.amazon.com/Excalibur-Rem...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't have one, but if you get it you may have to install it yourself. I know some installers will not install a remote start system in a manual trans vehicle bc of liability issues. People like to leave their vehicle in gear, then forget when they try to start it and it goes through someone's front door!

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    ERM... isnt the APU already feeding your batteries?

5. CruisingAlong

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    Instalation won't be an issue.

I could use it on an electric start generator connecter to an rv 100amp battery charger so the generator only comes on when voltage is has been pulled low by the ac unit.

6. CruisingAlong

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    So far, I've only added the lg ac unit connected to my 2000 watt inverter pulling for the existing bank of batteries.

7. Patronas01

Patronas01 Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2014
    California
    you can avoid this by wiring it in a way that the remote start wont start the truck unless it's in neutral .

KriegHund Thanks this.
  8. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    pulling your batteries down and recharging them like that all the time 3-4 times a day (every 3 hr's) will kill your batteries fast.... they are not made to take it....

you need to upgrade from AUTO/TRUCK batteries to AGM DEEP CELL RV/MARINE duel-purpose batteries..... they are made to take that kind of abuse.... with warranties up to 6 years...!!!

the batteries you have now are in the 650-925 cca range, you can get AGM's up to 1,150 cca, the higher the cca the less often you will need to rechange them..... 3hr's now, with the 1,150cca you may get 6-8hr's (1 recharge per 10 hr break)

your system will be hard on the alternator.... it's not really made to recharge dead batteries ALL THE TIME.... what the alternator is made to do is run the electronics of the truck and TOP OFF the batteries.... most are in the 140-165 amp range so when recharging the batteries it will be running at or close to max output and not for 20 min's but for 1-3 HOURS.... your gauge may show them charged after 20 min but a load test will show they aren't.... it takes time to fully charge them, when it goes out upgrade to a 250 amp, it will be less work on the alternator and it will recharge them faster.... if you have the room and can add 4 more batteries (total of 8 AGM) your system should run 12-18 hr's before you need to recharge the batteries

also think about adding a maxwel ESM (Engine Start Module)
    http://www.maxwell.com/esm/
    the ESM is what starts you truck not the batteries, as long as your truck batteries have enough power to turn on the trucks computer's the ESM will start it... it recharges from the batteries after the truck starts in 5-10 min... all truck dealers can get it and install if for you

CruisingAlong and KriegHund Thank this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    why don't you forget the inverter idea because on top of toasting the batteries, your inverter will eventually go and take the ac unit out (which is not supposed to be on inverter power). Just make the investment into a good generator like a honda and solve a lot of headaches.

I take the 10k ac unit means 10,000 btu unit which really is too much, a 5000 btu would keep you cool.

10. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    gas generators are dangerous on a truck and in some states may be illegal...
    GAS generator exhaust tends to float up and can enter the cab, diesel (apu) exhaust is heavy and floats to the ground.... a driver in AR had a gas generator mounted on the frame rail (same place a diesel apu would have been) he parked at a weight station to take a break.... dot found him dead in the cab 16 hr's later from carbon monoxide.....

some states REQUIRE a truck/rv gen-set (generator/ apu) to use a fuel pump and CAN NOT use a gravity feed fuel system, only the Honda 3000 uses a fuel pump and can be use with a remote gas tank think about it... do you really want to use a GAS generator that gets all the bumps and vibration of going down the road and get a little crack in some stupid plastic part and leak 5-8 gl.'s of GAS on top of your hot running gas motor...

per FMCSA reg's
    (3) Fuel spilled vertically from a fuel tank while it is being filled will not contact any part of the exhaust or electrical systems of the vehicle, except the fuel level indicator assembly.... fuel tank CAN"T be mounted on top of the generator
    (d) Gravity or syphon feed prohibited. A fuel system must not supply fuel by gravity or syphon feed directly to the carburetor or injector....... generator MUST have a fuel pump

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    CruisingAlong Thanks this.
  11. CruisingAlong

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    You guys make excellent points about prematurely ending the life of my batteries and alternator. Looks like I need to back up and punt.

I've been reading the rv forums and found where guys are using this generator
    http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Powe...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
    with a 6gallon marine tank and fuel pump setup getting 24 hrs of run time in eco mode. Now that would be a sweet setup for 1000.00 with remote start (including fuel pump, 6gallon tank , filter and lines) Is anyone running this generator?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.