Low voltage disconnect in the bunk

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by underpsi, Sep 12, 2013.

1. underpsi

underpsi Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    Anyone know the proper procedure to bypass the low voltage disconnect in the sleeper power box?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    the 2 twisted wires must not be taken off.

4. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    Why not fix it correctly??? If you don't know about wiring it would be better to get someone who does.

luvtotruck Thanks this.
  5. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    On my '05 KW T600 I unplugged both of the large cables from each end of LVD box (one is male one is female) and plugged them into each other. Be aware you get no warning what so ever, your electric cooler your dome light what ever will kill your battery's to the point of not starting. You will get used to double checking everything after you have to jump it a couple of times. LOL

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  6. luvtotruck

luvtotruck Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Phoenix Arizona
    Yeah here again, What he said! Because you are messing with a dangerous thing called your life! We don't want to read an article in the paper online saying driver jumped his plug in and now family is holding a Funeral for said driver, anyone needing a pile of a Western Star that is beyond recognition step up! By the way it comes with a monthly payment Insurance didn't cover it because it was not properly repaired. :biggrin_25512: lets not do this one, let someone who knows what they are doing do it.
    :biggrin_25513:

7. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    WTF is the big issue in bypassing it?
    For all you safety reps know, the OP could be sat on the shoulder etc due to the lvd screwing up.
    Done right, it would be no different than any truck without it, like 90% off the trucks out there.
    And kill him? Get real.
    Underpsi,
    Cetanediesel will have a wiring diagram for it I'm sure, although I thought there was a diagram on the cover?
    If not, shoot me a pm and I will check mine out.

Martin

cetanediesel and SHC Thank this.
  8. underpsi

underpsi Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    Trucks an 03. Honestly I didn't even look at it yet. I just know the low voltage light on it is flashing all the time so its gone bad.

Guys if I didn't know wiring I would have never even attempted this:
    [​IMG]

and this

[​IMG]

9. leftlanetruckin

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Mine is a "Sure Power".
    There is a wire that go into each end, basically connect the two wires together. One is voltage in, other is voltage out. Couldnt be simpler.
    Voltage out is the one nearer the drivers side, side door, voltage in is towards the passenger side.

Martin lvd.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  10. cetanediesel

cetanediesel Medium Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Albany, NY
    :toothy10: I am pretty sure theres no "official" manual on bypassing the LV cut off. LMAO. I just unscrewed the 7/16 nut from both large power lines and put both on one of the studs. I dont think mine ever had a problem, I just dont want more automated things. It could be your supply or ground to the bunk is getting worn or corroded and not letting the juice flow as free as new. Just to make sure, put a meeter before then after the LVCO, and with the fridge or other load like the high fan see what numbers you get. :dontknow:

11. leftlanetruckin

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    I was thinking of one of your super helpful wiring diagrams mate!
    Truck is a little better BTW, but it is just dampening the harsh suspension it feels like.....:biggrin_2557:

Martin

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.