Mack engine

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by kb1102, Oct 17, 2015.

1. rookiedoorbumper

rookiedoorbumper Light Load Member

Aug 27, 2015
    NJ
    Was it a state/county truck or a municipal truck? State and county drop tons of money fixing before auction

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kb1102

kb1102 Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2015
    I don't think so.

4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Camelback isn't as bad as Hendrickson, IMO, or those rubber block setups.

JPenn Thanks this.
  5. rookiedoorbumper

rookiedoorbumper Light Load Member

Aug 27, 2015
    NJ
    I was a county guy in NJ for a decade. 6 months before auction the mechanics go over all the trucks and replace everything. I've seen them drop 30,000 on a truck that goes for 8 at the auction. Happens a lot with the county and state govt...towns not so much.

6. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    Camelback rides much better than the rubber-block. We've got a Pete with rubber blocks and even loaded above 80K it will shake you stupid on even minor road wrinkles.

A local runner with above 400K has seen a lot of pounding, I'd check that thing over really carefully before pulling the trigger. It probably needed an overhaul quite a few hours ago, hence being up for sale. But that's possibly my general pessimism toward all things Jersey :)

7. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    E7 427 had cam issues yes. My 350 / 380 did not. What it did have was a poorly designed oil pump that starved the valve train and a $4400 Bosh injection pump hanging off the side that changed right about the year your talking about. If you have it then it's rare and expensive.

A quick trip to the right side engine will tell all......and if you have the AC model E7 it has 6 individual injectors like a Cummins.

Mine was good, cab was too small and 9 speed was too short on gear for the pup but oh buddy......give her room to run and I could hump a load at 75 all day.

Lots of stuff had to come from Dog too and they aren't cheap.

Liked mine, made good money with it.....

8. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

. My 350 / 380 did not Lucky you I have the bills to prove mine had a cam failure and know of 3 others that suffered as well + what the MACK DEALER let me know

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.