Mack Pinnacle Radio/ CB. Turns off while driving and wont turn off when key goes off

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by NomadMack, Sep 25, 2016.

1. NomadMack

NomadMack Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2016
    I have a 2015 Mack Pinnacle I've been driving for the past month. I went to hook up my Galaxy 98VHP CB up to the two power poles on the dash board and everything worked great. The CB powered on, everything was clear no issues. about a week later I was on the phone with a friend of mine and we decided to hang up the phones and use our CBs since we were about a mile from each other going in the same direction. I powered the CB on and used it for about 5 mins then when I squeezed the Mic my radio died and the CB lost power. I figured I blew the fuse but the radio came back on after I pressed the power button but the CB wouldnt, I figured I blew the fuse on the back of the radio but when I got home it was fine. I hooked it to 12v and it worked fine. Im guessing it was too powerful for the truck. My question is How do I get those power nuts on the dash working and my Radio working properly now? are there any fuses that the radio and CB share? Since that happened Ive had to manually power the Radio on and when I shut the truck off it have to press the power button to shut it off. sometimes while driving the Radio will cut off and not turn on until I unhook my USB Thumb drive (music is on it) and press the power button to get it back on. Its becoming a PITA. Anyone experience this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    It sounds like a relay issue to me - the points (if they still use points in relays) stick either on or off, which would explain why it doesn't always shut off when you turn the key off.
    I know nothing about Mack wiring, or if they use a relay on that circuit, but it might be worth swapping relays around to try to determine if that is the problem.

4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Usually those radios work like this... They have battery power all the time to keep radio memory and clock and other features like alarm clock. When you turn the key on, power goes through another wire for your ignition power. This is what tells the radio to turn on. It is likely happening is that the radio is losing that ignition power when driving. Now, your other issue of it not turning off is a bit different. Those radios will also turn on when the key is off, if you press the power button. Usually they will stay on for a timed duration normally of one hour but maybe more depending the model or until you press the power button again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.