Math formula for load placement

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by old iron, Feb 13, 2016.

1. old iron

old iron Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    Have a question for you guys.
    A while back I think it was @Heavy Hammer talked about this very thing.
    Darned if I can find it now. Looked online and even broke out the math books with no luck.
    Here is my riddle. How do you calculate the weight that will be placed on the front / rear axle groups of a trailer according to the center of gravity of the load, verses the center of the trailers balance point?
    Obviously if it is centered it will be equal. And if it is forward or rear of center it will be more or less.
    Is there an equation to figure out what the actual weights will be in relation to the trailers balance point?

Lets say you need to crane load a piece of equipment. Load is 70,000#, 30' long and it is evenly balanced. You will be at max weight on all your axle groups. Has to be placed on the trailer exactly. The distance between your kingpin and the center of your trailer group is 41'. You need to put 25,000# on the front and 45,000# on the rear of the trailer.

How far to the rear of center on the trailer do you place the center of the load, and how did you calculate it?

Any way to know for sure without looking like a monkey fornicating a football while watching air gauges?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    No expert but...

(25,000/45,000)41 = 22.7777777

So, 22.8' from the kingpin would be the center of the load.

Right? Wrong?

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    For the center of a 48 foot trailer that would be about right. According the math that was posted from kingpin to center of spread axle. And would only work if the weights were ideal. (split evenly )

He wants 20,000 more on the rears. The load would have to be farther back. Or the weight of the load.

And when you think about it. The trailer always gets most of the weight anyways. The axles only weigh around 9,000 while the drives weigh closer to 19,500. On my setup anyways.A perfectly balanced load around the middle of the trailer. All axles weigh the same. The trailer is still packing 10,000 more pounds over the drives.

Watching the truck gauges is all i've ever done. Trailer gauges too if available.

Good question. I'll be watching for that new math to be posted.

5. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    To me the honest answer would be, experience and trial and error. It's every bit as much art as it is science. You'll just have to get some loads and figure it out, every truck and trailer is a little different.

old iron Thanks this.
  6. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

Tallest trailers has an awesome calculator on their website. You need to input lots of weights and measurements into it to get it accurate. In your scenario tho you forgot how much weight of the load is going to transfer to your steer so if you want 25k on the drives you need to add the transfer into that number.

old iron Thanks this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    You would need to have your empty weights to start. That load would be maxing a 6 axle rig. Center of trailer is halfway between the kingpin and the middle trailer axle.

30ft long, 70000lbs. 70000/12=5833.33. Dead center would put 35000 per axle group. So to put 45000 on the trailer axles, place it 1'9 towards the rear.

The problem that I see is the trailer used. Haven't seen a 6 axle rig with a 34 ft well.

old iron Thanks this.
  8. haulhand

Yes but you could put it on a three axle step with 38 ft down.

9. haulhand

I've got a couple that regularly see 70k+ with no problems.

johndeere4020 Thanks this.
  10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Ive never pulled one. I don't know the measurements of that trailer. Wasnt for sure if the step would give you the room to move the load. I myself was thinking 4 axle oilfield lowboy, but to max things out had to stay with 6 axles.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.