Maxxforce 7 oil change fun

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by 4x4_Welder, Oct 20, 2016.

1. 4x4_Welder

4x4_Welder Medium Load Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Eastern Orygun
    I have a truck I occasionally service, that according to the owner has had an odd problem for years.
    Change the oil and filters, it starts up fine to back out of the shop, starts fine again to go back to the plant (about two miles), but the next morning cranks forever with no start. After a few tries it'll finally start, but cackles and misfires for a bit before straightening out. It's fine then until the next oil change.
    I don't even know where to start on this issue, it sounds like a loss of prime on the HPOP, but only after an LOF, and on the second start?
    Anyone seen something like this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I had that happen on a 2001 ISX, the next day after a service at a quick lube place. I had to get ether to start it after about three days, it just got worse. Stopped at another shop and he knew what it was right away. Turned out ISX didn't like Baldwin fuel filter, changed it out for a fleet guard, never a problem after that.
    So double check that it has the right fuel filter, or maybe it's not tightened properly.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    MF7 uses high pressure fuel, common rail injection. Not HEUI like the DT's. I would suspect just some air getting locked in the high pressure side and doesn't get worked out until after a cold soak.

5. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Whenever we PM a MF7 (Budget truck) we have learned to let it run for almost an hour or so. Maybe overkill, but it sucks to get them started again.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.