May Need To Add A Jake Brake. How Much??

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by PO Stoner, Aug 14, 2015.

1. PO Stoner

PO Stoner Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2015
    I getting ready to buy a truck. One of the trucks I'm looking at is almost perfect. No jake brake. I want a Freightliner Columbia with a series 60. The one I'm looking at is a 2009. How much would it cost to add a jake brake? I would think it could be done easily. Thanks for the info. Should it be done by Freightliner or is this something a smaller shop can handle for cheaper?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It isn't easy, it needs to be done by DD and I would just look for another truck or live without it.

5. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Cheap, no. Easy, yes. Just need the jakes plus new rocker arm assemblies. Plus a simple ecm reprogram.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    When you say easy, one of the things I learned was that when there is a problem, and the person doing the work doesn't know what the heck he is doing, it turns into a nightmare and the easy turns into hard.

Hammer166 and Intothesunset Thank this.
  7. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Once you get the valve cover off, loosen Six bolts and lift the Jake's and rockers off. It would take me longer to change the spark plugs on my f150. the only thing "hard" about this job is finding the right wires in the factory harness that you need to tie into. And they are stamped with a number every 18 inches. The only reason you need to even let a tech touch the truck is to plug into the computer and set cruise speed margin for when the Jake's kick in. it's an after noon project. Other than the two wires it's actually the exact same labor intensive as running the over head. And if a guy can't set the valve lash on his engine, then what the hell is he doing owning a truck?

Intothesunset and KeithT1967 Thank this.
  8. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    I paid:

Pacbrake brand retrofit kit: ~$1850 online

Mechanical install: $300 (not much different than running overhead)

Wiring install: $150

Detroit Diesel ecm reflash: $750 + $250 labor

If you plan ahead you could save considerably -- I spent hastily after blowing 3 wheel seals descending Donner at the blistering speed of 15mph w/o jakes. Can do 30 now with the same load and almost no service braking.

Obviously much cheaper to find a truck already equipped, but pre-emission trucks in good condition are scarce & I would have easily paid another $4k for my truck

9. double yellow

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    If not originally equipped, the jakes wont work at all until turned on in the ecm. There is software you can get to do that yourself if the ecm isn't locked -- mine was.

10. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    A grand to upgrade the ecm software? Man that dealer screwed you bad. Or Tampa Detroit gives me a really, really good discount.

Intothesunset and double yellow Thank this.
  11. double yellow

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    All US series60 built after 2003 came with jacobs-brand compression brakes from the factory. Is this a glider?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.