Mechanics lack of knowledge regarding shutdown events, codes etc??

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by pbrstreetgang, Jul 26, 2016.

1. pbrstreetgang

pbrstreetgang Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2007
    California
    This has happened to me at LEAST three times that I can remember, NO EXAGGERATION:

“Stop Engine” warning light comes on....engine shuts down....I note the time EXACTLY and either limp into the shop or get towed in. I tell the mechanic exactly what time the “stop engine” light came on and he says “yeah okay, well it’s either THIS OR THIS OR THIS.”

HUH???? I gave you exact time of the event, and somehow this is NEVER recorded in the computer? So you are WITHOUT EXAGGERATION not sure whether it’s a low coolant sensor or EGR failure or high DPF outlet warning that shut down the truck in the middle of the road???

Why does the computer show all the codes from the last time the codes were cleared but doesn't tell you which is which??

2009 Cascadia, Detroit Diesel 60 Series

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fx9

Fx9 Light Load Member

May 30, 2016
    What does the exact time have to do with it ?
    A light came on , it shut down .
    Doesnt matter if its noon or midnight .
    And ~ if the "warning , stop engine " light comes on why are you still driving it ? ? ?

pbrstreetgang Thanks this.
  4. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    I have no clue what engine or year you have, but in general, a shut down or derate code is just that. That fault is associated with several other faults to trigger a shutdown or derate. Faults are stored as start time, end time and number of occurrences, depending on your engine, you may be able get more info that that, but that's the bare minimum. This usually gives a good indication of what fault triggered a shutdown, but if several faults are in that window, you may not be able to be sure which one actually did it. It doesn't really matter, if you have more than 1 fault that could trigger a shutdown that was active in that window, they all need to be addressed.

What engine/year do you have? What were the fault codes? Any other info that might help us help you?

Heavyd and pbrstreetgang Thank this.
  5. SLCTrucker

SLCTrucker Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Salt Lake City UT
    I know with my DD15 I can read all codes since they were last cleared & they give date & time for each code occurrence...

6. Old school 362

Old school 362 Medium Load Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Pensacola Fl
    is this you truck or company truck.?

7. Old school 362

Old school 362 Medium Load Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Pensacola Fl
    Is this your truck or company truck. Along we need more info

8. pbrstreetgang

Sep 7, 2007
    California
    Sorry about the lack of truck info - I forgot. Detroit 60 Series, 2009 Cascadia.

Maybe this is true in general for most trucks, but this has not been the case with my truck. Each time I get the “stop engine” light, it ends up being one specific thing that shut the truck down, and no one ever knows what it is, because there are three or four faults listed as recent faults, so we all have to guess. This is the point of what I’m saying. For example, one time it was the low coolant sensor gone bad, twice or more it was EGR valve, and twice I think it was high DPF temps. EACH OF THESE TIMES mechanics told me they were just guessing at the cause, since there was more than one fault listed in the general directory of recent faults (it’s not actually called that, I don’t know what they call it.) So my problem is, each time a specific event shut down the engine at a specific time of day, and I can’t understand why this specific event can’t be noted in the computer! I mean obviously the computer knows what did what at what specific time, so why can’t it note that for us to see?

9. pbrstreetgang

Sep 7, 2007
    California
    Sorry my truck, Detroit 60 Series 2009 Cascadia

10. pbrstreetgang

Sep 7, 2007
    California
    Yeah this is what I'm wondering - maybe mine does this too but the mechanics are just jerking me around, because the less I know the more money they can make having me fix crap that doesn't need to be fixed. When you say you can read them (with date and time) is this off the dash or with dealer software?

11. pbrstreetgang

Sep 7, 2007
    California
    If it told me the time I could figure out which of the many "recent" codes was the one that actually shut down the truck. And if it's a problem that persists I obviously don't drive it, but sometimes in the past the truck would shut down for reasons that would go away, like high dpf temps that only lasted a second and then I wouldn't get another one for a month

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.