Mercedes MBE 4000 problems

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Greasehauler, May 10, 2010.

1. granhawler

granhawler Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2011
    When most headgaskets go out on these motors where do the blow, by an antifreeze port or around the combustion chamber????

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. oldbulger

oldbulger Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2011
    TEXAS
    All good reasons to go with Cummins. Cummins is like Ford or Chevy. One on every corner. Most everyone can work on them. Parts and service is the least expensive of all diesels. Even NAPA auto parts carries some stuff for Cummins.

Deecutta Thanks this.
  4. granhawler

Feb 26, 2011
    Just got done overhauling an N14 cummins today, you couldn't give me one. I've never been around an ISX so I cant comment on them but if there anything like an N14 to work on I'd rather have a cat or a detroit or even a mercedes. I mean on the N14 you adjust the timing by how thick the gasket is for the boxes on the side of the block, who's the genius that came up with that brilliant idea????? Some people may love cummins which is fine, but there not my cup of tea.

5. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    about Cummins.... ISX is less reliable then Mercedes and it is not all, ISX parts are more expencive.

N14 is old engine. Can not be produced any more, becouse it is Euro-II rated only. No EGR, no SCR... Mercedes engine may be of Euro-V emission made!

The only engine I can compare with old school is ISM, but it is gutless

6. oldbulger

oldbulger Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2011
    TEXAS
    There are no more cats. Cat is out of the otr diesels. Detroit 60 series are good engines. As good as anything out. Perhaps better. Volvo diesels are good but no one knows how to work on them and the parts are very expensive.

7. granhawler

Feb 26, 2011
    I am very aware that CAT is out of the OTR market but they still made good motors before the got out of the business.

8. dwmac71

dwmac71 Light Load Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lane,ks
    Cat is making its own trucks these days, time will tell if the make it to the OTR market.

9. oldbulger

oldbulger Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2011
    TEXAS
    Cats are being built by International with International engines. Soooo...they are nothing but Internationals with the CAT badge on them.

10. dwmac71

dwmac71 Light Load Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lane,ks
    No, International is using cat and man of Germany blocks to base the maxforce engines on. The engine in the cat trucks is made by cat.
    The cab of the cat truck is a 9900i shell being used as a shortcut until cat can bring their own cab to the US market.
    The NC2 trucks made in Australia and sold as cats are prostar's with c11 and c13 cat motors. US truck cat trucks get CT11, CT13, AND CT15.
    CAT has stated they are not going with the massive EGR system that Navistar has bet it's house on

11. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    what emission level are Cat CT engines? what emission stuff is used? ACERT?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.