money owed from various places

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by pavrom, Jul 25, 2016.

1. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    anybody have great advice or idea how to get money from dealers , people gave bad checks , stopped checks , ...
    i have one dealer owes money for 3 cars $900 , when i call lady takes all the info with promise to call back - this joke happening already 3 months
    another carrier broker out of business and not central dispatch member anymore
    another shipping company in texas issued the check that was bounced , owner explained lack of funds , got into accident , promised to repay shortly - no answer any more for 2 weeks
    another broker from central out of business , but still valid mc - tried with claim on the bond , 30 days wait
    another shipping company late 90 days
    another dealer check was bounced for 2 cars delivery in indiana
    and finally favorite autotransport.com , still delivering cars for them this week - am i legal to keep cars as collateral until paid (don't think so) , talked to them last week - Josh explained problems with carman payments and expect my checks to be out before end of the month .... btw today got one of them ...
    totaling maybe $10-12k

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    The first dealer I would stop by in person with a new invoice with late charges added. They probably won't pay the additional cost but it may light a fire under their tail. Then i'd call them pretending to be the corporate lawyer for your company.Don't laugh, I've had success doing this with multiple carriers. If that doesn't work I'd have a lawyer send a demand letter and that gets the ball rolling towards a civil lawsuit.
    Business checks that have bounced are a slam dunk in small claims court. You still may not get your money but they'll give you a judgement with accrued interest. Give that judgement to a collections agent and you'll get something. Last time I did that it cost 450 to get $1800. Still better than nothing, plus the feeling of coming out on top without resorting to being Tony Soprano.

4. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    In some states theft of services is a felony. IL is one of them. Try filing a police report first that will light the fire under them

brian991219 and Tropsnart Thank this.
  5. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Oh oh better pay the call girl

passingthru69 Thanks this.
  6. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Bingo
    In ny it is the same law.
    You take the check to the bank and they do what is called a protest.
    Then you take the document to law enforcement and they arrest the check signer.

brian991219, Terry270 and 51.50 Thank this.
  7. kw550cat

kw550cat Medium Load Member

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    And see if cod is an option even if not listed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.