Moose Bumpers ???

Discussion in 'Prime' started by BigSky, Mar 25, 2016.

1. BigSky

BigSky Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    I've noticed all of the Prime trucks seem to have the smaller "deer bumpers" added ... have you actually ever hit something, where were you, and what kind of damage was incurred? Thanks

PChase Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I had a truck turn too sharp as they were pulling out of the parking spot next to me. The trailer tandems got hung up on the deer guard and drug the truck about a foot or so. I'm pretty sure it would have swiped the front of the truck off and damaged the radiator if the guard wasn't there.

Had a headlight assembly put on and it was good to go. I always thought they were too small to do much good but it has saved me a lot of time.

darthanubis and BigSky Thank this.
  4. Highway101

Highway101 Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    Had a Swift truck cut the corner to short in a Flying J and had there trailer wind up busting up my hood pretty good. The guard stopped the trailer from totally taking off my hood.

darthanubis, BigSky and KB3MMX Thank this.
  5. BigSky

BigSky Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Now that's very interesting and completely unexpected … has anyone actually hit an animal? LOL

darthanubis and Chucktshoes Thank this.
  6. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    Animals run faster than Prime trucks run, so, most likely the answer is no.

7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Nothing large enough for the guard to hit. yet.

A minivan was tossing kittens out the window while going down the highway... They changed lanes to get in front of me, tossed a few out, and then took off. o_O

BigSky Thanks this.
  8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I was paced by a dove once. :p

9. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    :D

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  10. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Suicidal deer in MO late at night earlier this summer, mile or two short of my exit. Truck was #### near new.

Nobody behind & was able to slowly drift to lane it WASN'T in. Usually do not have opportunity to give 'em a chance, but I WAS able to in this instance. Go figure, at last second the stupid ### jumped right in front of truck. Must not have had a anything left to live for.

Cracked bumper in middle of deer guard opening towards driver side, broke fog light & housing. Deer somehow spun around truck, bouncing off driver side trim & steps, knocking whole assembly a bit loose. Saw spot between steps & couldn't quite figure out if it was deer snot or crap. My bet was on crap from the last look on it's face before it went under.

Deer guard paid for itself in one hit. Without it, damage would have been much more extensive. When I buy my next truck, however, it will definately have a larger/beefier guard installed.

Oh yeah. I've now given up my shotgun & rifle for deer hunting season. Seem to have much better luck with the truck.

As I tell all my students........

"Deer...........it's all in the follow through."

:biggrin_25525:

11. BigSky

BigSky Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Thanks for your insight ...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.