Most versatile high mount trailer........

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by 217flatbedr, May 22, 2015.

1. 217flatbedr

217flatbedr Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Which high mount trailer offers the most versatility?

I have an account that deals exclusively in repairables. Occasionally they have a run and drive. Additionally they cover bids for personal vehicles, usually run and drive to fill out the trailer.

I have my own tractor. I'm looking into auto transporters. I'd prefer a self contained trailer if it makes the most sense. If money weren't an issue what would you buy and why?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    First question, I would ask, how many places are you looking to fill? 4,5,6,7,8, more? Is/are most of your repairable's going to drive on off, OR do most places forklift them on/off?

If your answer is most places forklift both ends, I would vote for the SC 5 car. If you are going to have issues loading/unloading repairable/in-op's OFTEN, I would go with a solid deck trailer that winching a vehicle over will not tear up the deck.

Hammer166 and 217flatbedr Thank this.
  4. RSQ20

RSQ20 Medium Load Member

Not that it matters, but this is what we do..

Many off our loads were one way, with not many chances of a back haul load. This is what we now do, 53' dry van out(cargo), back haul 3 cars or 2 PU trucks, loaded and unloaded off a flatdeck tow truck.. Sure beats dead head..

Philip

217flatbedr Thanks this.
  5. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Stan has valid questions, and his suggestion is right on the money if they will forklift load/unload you. Another option, although it is not self contained, is a Landoll 336, which is a 6 car high mount specifically designed for salvage vehicles, but it is somewhat limited in how you can stack and rack them, meaning if you haul a lot of pickups, suv, or other larger vehicles it is not the option for you. The trouble I have found with most car haul trailer designed for operable vehicles is they have thin decks and don't hold up well to abuse from fork lift operators or broken suspension, etc, this tends to bend the decks and make holes in the deck, plus if you get to a delivery and they don't have a forklift it can be hard to off-load an inoperable vehicle. I started my career hauling salvage using a Landoll 334 then 336, these were great for salvage but when I got into operable cars they sucked as the had as tendency to damage lower valances and you had to winch everything on/off which slowed down loading running units.

A good solid deck trailer like the Sun Country 5 car would allow fork access from the front or side, allow a flatbed tow truck to winch a unit off, even allow you to install a winch and load rolling stock by yourself, plus it has a higher ground clearance for access in and out of the salvage yards and streetside deliveries at body shops and smaller dealers.

As for most versatile high mount without regards to inoperable vehicles, Cotrell makes some nice 8 and 9 car units that will allow you to haul a good mix of cars, suv, and light trucks so long as you are hauling in areas that allow you to take full advantage of overhang.

217flatbedr and Hammer166 Thank this.
  6. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    If you find one that is not self contained, you can always install it yourself. Look to CF Bender http://cfbender.com/
    Give them a call & tell them the specific trailer you are looking at to get a quote. Know it was cheaper through them than ordering installed at factory.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.