My company just got our authority and I want to put it to use.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by WalterSobchak, May 25, 2015.

1. WalterSobchak

WalterSobchak Medium Load Member

May 16, 2014
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Im not an owner operator but I figure you guys may have the best advice for my situation. I work for a craft brewer that packages, stores, and ships its beer cold. We have a Prostar and 53ft reefer which we use to deliver beer to a network of 15 distributors and counting in the southeast. I head out in the truck every couple of weeks and deliver to 4-8 of them and back haul our empty kegs. We recently got our mc authority as we are working out deals with a couple other breweries to deliver for them to many of the same distributors and pick up their empty kegs.

Since purchasing the truck last year we haven't been running it full time. It is however in our plans to get to that point just hauling our own beer as we are experiencing steady growth. For now Im the only cdl holder at the company and when Im not out making deliveries around the south east, Im working in the brewery. I would however like to run the truck more full time. My boss is obviously completely supportive of us putting the truck to work in its off weeks. We have office personnel and a logistics person as we handle a lot of shipping and receiving as it is. We will all be sitting down in the next couple of weeks and discussing the best plan for running the truck more. I myself would like to play a role in this venture beyond just being the driver. My thoughts right now are to reach out to various vendors we work with already and try to secure some loads. Also, posting the truck available on load boards and working with brokers to see what we can get. There is no pressure to take cheap rates to get the truck moving from our facility as it serves its primary purpose just hauling our own product.

Im sure I will come up with a variety of questions, especially when it comes to protocol for various types of shippers and receivers. For now, any thoughts you guys may have would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. irishwarrior

irishwarrior Medium Load Member

Dec 21, 2011
    williamsburg iowa
    i am serious when i say good luck and congrats on getting your own authroity

WalterSobchak Thanks this.
  4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Some thoughts for you from when I worked for a private fleet owned by a company that bottled water. We had our own MC authority, hauled mostly our own stuff but also found backhauls when we didn't have empty returns and round trip freight in the colder months when water purchases were down, just to keep the fleet moving and good drivers employed. Before they did general freight they would hire a bunch of seasonal drivers and have damages and other trouble related to the learning curve, after being able to keep their drivers year round the turnover and damage claims went way down.

If you haul mostly kegs then there will always be empties to return so your out and back freight is limited to maybe consolidating less than truck loads of finished product and returns for a number of local breweries, but if you also haul one way packaging like cans or bottles then those trips are ripe for backhauls. Maybe you could study your own inbound transportation and see if you could handle some of your supplies cheaper than what you pay for transportation now, we used to pickup our own bottles, labels,pallets, and other packaging supplies when ever we could to save on trucking and better control the timeliness of their arrival. The more of your supply chain your control the better off you will be, why do you think WalMart runs a 7,000+ truck fleet? Control, even if it costs a little more is worth the peace of mind for production managers, so that may be a way to sell it. Owning or even leasing a fleet of dryvan trailers to drop and hook at these suppliers is relatively cheap and would give you productive use of the tractor when not moving beer without dragging the refer around plus open you up to some other weight sensitive load options. Hauling for other breweries may be a good way to go although I expect some push back from them not wanting to "help" their competition, unless you have good relationships already established. As a driver with initative you are well on your way to becoming the fleet manager or driver manager as this in-house fleet develops. Good luck with that.

5. WalterSobchak

May 16, 2014
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Thanks for the replies! brian001219, you definitely recognize why I want to work hard to make this venture work for my employer and hopefully be more than just a driver. Delivering our own product to our out of state distributors is worthwhile in itself, what we can generate on top of that is icing on the cake. We do have a mix of kegs and cans. Probably 65/35 in favor of kegs, so the truck up until now has never been anywhere near fully loaded for the return trip. Some LTL for the return trips if we can get it would no doubt be great and TL jobs for the weeks Im not out delivering our beer is also my goal. Most of our supplies are delivered LTL with some exceptions like grain and cans. I will definitely look into whether or not it would be in our interest to possibly pick up some brokered freight heading in the direction of those suppliers and hauling it back. As for other breweries, for the most part craft brewers are friendly with each other. Some breweries, including ours, even do collaboration brews with other breweries. The one thing we all have in common is our biggest competition is still the mega macro brewers.

6. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    Can you make sales directly to liquor stores, gas stations and such ? Or does it have to go through the distributer's ?

7. WalterSobchak

May 16, 2014
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Our sales people call on stores, bars, restaurants, etc, but they have to place their order through a distributor.

dannythetrucker Thanks this.
  8. WalterSobchak

May 16, 2014
    Rocky Mount, NC
    The time has come. My boss has given me the clear to put the truck to work. Even though I'm a company driver, I'm the only driver so I still have to figure a lot of stuff out that most companies probably have a plan for already.

What do you owner/ops do if you have a family emergency while loaded? If empty and within a few hundred miles of home with HOS be ######, would you drop trailer and bobtail or park the truck and rent a car? I hate having to plan for something like this, but you never know when tragedy may strike.

9. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Write your log so you are legal. If electronic use a hammer to fix it and get the paper out. Hammer down.

10. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Solve the problem and figure the paperwork out later.

If something's important enough that I need to drop what I'm doing and go handle it: it's important enough to go do it now regardless of how waxy the pages get from crayola.

m

11. WalterSobchak

May 16, 2014
    Rocky Mount, NC
    No doubt HOS would be the last thing on my mind. But what would you do if loaded, and with a reefer especially? My family comes first but I dont want to just ignore my responsibility. If I've got our beer in the trailer, I know my boss wouldn't have a problem with me dropping everything and doing what I have to do. But I want to be able to help him arrange for a repower or something. If its a load booked through a broker, are they prepared to make arrangements in an emergency like that?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.