My experience starting out at A&R Transport

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by DMAX66, Feb 13, 2015.

1. DMAX66

DMAX66 Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Chicagoland
    Yes I am still working at A&R and it is going well. The only thing that gets on my nerves is the tank wash facility in Morris is way two small for the volume that goes out of that terminal. sometimes you have to wait to get a clean trailer, but they pay you detention when waiting on a trailer so its not to big of a deal. It just sucks because it makes for a longer day if you have to wait on a clean trailer in the morning.

poppapump1332 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DMAX66

DMAX66 Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Chicagoland
    I think they are building a new facility near the old location. Not sure exactly where its at

poppapump1332 Thanks this.
  4. youngscholar

youngscholar Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2012
    chicago, il
    Ok thanks. If I do decide to come on over I will be running out of the Morris terminal. What type of truck they running out of that terminal?

5. DMAX66

DMAX66 Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Chicagoland
    Morris is a good terminal to be based out of because we have our own rail yard that we load at right there at the terminal. We are always busy and you will never sit and not have a load. The new trucks are Volvo mid roofs and Freightliner Cascadia mid roofs. The older trucks are the Peterbilt 379 flat tops like mine we also have some Peterbilt 386 and Freightliner Columbias.

youngscholar Thanks this.
  6. DuckCrazy45

DuckCrazy45 Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Ft Worth TX
    I'm heavily considering coming over to A & R as well. Can you tell me if they are good at sending you all over? I like a good mix in going places and will be taking my wife with me. I have been talking to Tonya and so far she has ben the best recruiter I have ever dealt with in 25 years of driving. I would be running out of the Fort Worth terminal.

7. DMAX66

DMAX66 Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Chicagoland
    Yes, if you are a system driver (OTR) you can go all over the country. I have never been to the Fort Worth terminal so I don't know to much about it. I did see a newsletter saying they are getting a lot of new freight in that area so it should be a good place to run out of. We are pretty much always busy and I have never had to sit and wait for a load in the 10 months I have worked for A&R. They will always get you home when needed as well.

DuckCrazy45 Thanks this.
  8. DuckCrazy45

DuckCrazy45 Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Ft Worth TX
    I'm checking on Oakley as well but they are gonna have to do a lot to compete with A&R. Ive been pulling liquid longer than I did dry bulk and the training period isn't as long, but I do understand why. I hate changing jobs and going into the unknown. Ive already entered interviewed once with the terminal manager here but my application has expired so I gotta do everything again. I'm getting to old to be bouncing all over and need more stability.

9. DMAX66

DMAX66 Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Chicagoland
    Yea so far A&R has been good to me. As far as the training I know some guys get frustrated with learning the loading process, but I picked it up pretty quick myself. It does take time to get familiar with all the different products but if you have previous dry bulk experience you should pick it up no problem. I have actually grown to like loading because it gets you out of the truck and keeps you in shape

10. DMAX66

DMAX66 Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Chicagoland
    My time at A&R has come to an end. I just accepted a new position at Hoffman Transportation. Hoffman is located about 15 min from the A&R Morris terminal. They haul plastic pellets like A&R as well as liquid bulk. I am very excited that I was hired because it is not easy to get in at Hoffman. Hoffman drivers typically only leave when they retire. For the most part I have been very happy with A&R but Hoffman pays better and also pays for heath insurance 100%

Picture of the last load I hauled with one of the shinny new trailers
    [​IMG]

11. DADof3

DADof3 Medium Load Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Clarksville, TN
    I was talking to a Hoffman driver at Pete's one day in Dwight. He was telling me that the only way to get on there is pretty much if someone retires or God forbid dies. People don't hardly ever quit or get fired there. At that time, they didn't even take applications. You had to have inside info from someone to know who was about to retire so you could walk in and talk to them before the driver retired.

Does anyone know anything about the Jackson terminal? Also, I loaded DEF from rail cars in Nashville quite bit last year, and there were always A&Rs in there loading. Do they have a Nashville terminal too, or are they probably out of Jackson?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.