My "New" 1999 Pete

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Samuel Coyne, Aug 4, 2016.

1. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Those steelcase trucks were always sharp looking trucks. And i think the set forward axle 377 looks better than the short hood 379 or 378. It'll be fine running around 80000 lbs. Over that and you'll know it. Good thing it has a 13 spd. Be carefull with that front iirc they're kind of dear moneywise.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Samuel Coyne

Samuel Coyne Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Gladstone/Escanaba, MI
    The areas where the paint has faded or chipped off are going to be touched up. We may paint the fenders and side farings silver!

I'm very happy it has a 13 speed. I don't think my dad would've bought a truck without a 13 or 18!

We do plan on installing some better headlights. I believe my dad said you can buy whole new assemblies that are LED or similar.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    13 with a double over or double under maybe?

IF you want some real fun you should try that 15 forward and 15 reverse in that super 500 mack we had once.

Absolutely put LED on that rig all around. ANY chance you have to reduce the base voltage load and amp drain will benefit your batteries and system immensely.

Samuel Coyne Thanks this.
  5. Samuel Coyne

Jan 9, 2016
    Gladstone/Escanaba, MI
    I believe it's a 13 with single OD.

The rest of the lights are already LED, and the ones I'm adding will be LED as well.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That's cool. That OD might be a little problem if you run into Kansas winds fighting westbound. 445 horses is ... eh... it's adequate ya know? If you have it running well, it's a joy.

7. Samuel Coyne

Jan 9, 2016
    Gladstone/Escanaba, MI
    This truck will probably never leave the Midwest, haha. MAYBE once a year, maybe. The equipment my Dad and I haul stays mostly in Upper Michigan, Wisconsin & Minnesota. The dry freight I will haul when equipment slows down goes all over the country, but I will never have to leave the Midwest unless I specifically ask to. I'm driving a company truck right now for the company this Peterbilt will be leased to and I don't leave the Midwest. They got me set up pretty nicely. I ain't getting no 3,000 miles a week, but 1,500-2,000 will do just fine until I am in this baby. Then I will be getting paid totally differently.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Nice looking ride. Congrats.
    Now save a little dough and get some LED chicken lights along the bottom of the cab and bumper!

9. Peterbiltt

Peterbiltt Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    get a bigger bumper forsure. and slam it soon on airride ;)

10. Samuel Coyne

Jan 9, 2016
    Gladstone/Escanaba, MI
    I'm actually going to the Big Rig Chrome Shop in Oshkosh, WI tomorrow to pick some things up for it! Lights under the cab and sleeper are a for sure, and my dad wants me to get prices on a new bumper for it.

Definitely will have a new bumper some day, but it won't be slammed! Remember, we live in the Upper Peninsula and we have some harsh winters! And since we haul equipment, we don't always go into the best places so the thing has to have some ground clearance!

And the only thing that about this truck that drives me nuts is the 24.5" wheels. I am not a fan of those. I want 22.5's on it but my dad wants to use the rest of the life up in the tires that are on it, and then we will switch it over to 22.5's.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. Samuel Coyne

Jan 9, 2016
    Gladstone/Escanaba, MI
    You know, I just noticed all of those zip ties looking back at the pictures. Holy crap. That's a lot of zip ties. Everything does look organized though and I guess if that's why they are all there, they can stay lol.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.