My new, final resting place

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by DenaliDad, Mar 20, 2015.

1. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

That's why the forklift driver was in a bad mood; he had to rearrange the entire load so there was NOTHING hanging over the back. And there isn't!

TB John and tsavory Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DenaliDad

So, driver, you think you're something special because you drove 600.7 miles in one day, do you?

Yes, please.

Well, how about 657 miles in one day?

The thing about these long drives with a 64 mph truck is they do a lot of damage to your 70-hour clock. A lot. That is why I am here, far from my destination, with only 4 hours left...and no recap until tomorrow night. So the plan is to leave tomorrow morning after the Monday morning rush, find a nice place almost 4 hours away, and wait until midnight, when I recap 12 hours.

Then run like hell to Florida for delivery!

TruckerWife630, 88 Alpha and tsavory Thank this.
  4. TruckerWife630

TruckerWife630 Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Alabama
    Shouldn't trails length be something the DM keeps track of? Or at least asks about before finalizing a load? Seems like common sense to me. That's probably why it seems to not happen!

5. DenaliDad

I prefer to manage my own business. I let them know - in writing, of course! - if there is a problem and do accept their input. But I'm the one with the CDL sitting alone in this truck, managing my times.

Today, for example, my DM told me not to run, to sit and wait for my 34-hr reset. I hate doing that with a passion. It's the lazy driver's way of managing a clock; since I know how to use recap to my benefit (and in the process not sit at a truck stop unless I want to) and knew I had many high-hour recap days ahead, I told him I had a better plan and would be doing it. He didn't like it until I told him doing it my way would get the product delivered tomorrow, not Wednesday.

Yeah, he liked my idea then.

Mtn Gal and TruckerWife630 Thank this.
  6. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    running recap or a reset is not always cut and dried
    i run to CA in 38 hours reset and get back in 40 hours
    a full 24 hours before i could recap
    and drive 13500 to 14500 a month with 6 days off
    anything but lazy

TruckerWife630 and ampm wayne Thank this.
  7. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Long miles tend to benefit from resets, and shorter loads tend to be quicker doing recap.

As CY just said, not always cut and dried. We have a guy who does Miami turns in a week, usually gone 5 days, and does it again the next week.

8. DenaliDad

Sitting in another of our dirt drop lots, this one in Greenville, Mississippi, waiting for a load to be delivered.

9. Arkansas

Arkansas Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    LA- Lower Arkansas
    Greenville MS. Gods country

10. Arkansas

Arkansas Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    LA- Lower Arkansas
    There's places in the Mississippi, Arkansas, an Louisiana delta that when you go there it's like stepping back in time a hundred years.

11. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I agree....

They are called Mississippi , Louisiana and Arkansas

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.