My TMC experience.

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Gunner75, Jul 1, 2014.

1. MM3Deg

MM3Deg Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    You have a general discharge from the military.

Honorable conditions or not.... It means you got fired.

That is what gives.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Da Beast

Da Beast Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Bel air, MD
    OK... Super smart guy!
    Do you want a cookie?
    You don't know me or the situation, so if you don't have the facts, do me favor and keep your slick talk to yourself!

4. Toona67

Toona67 Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Well, as a former military veteran myself, you can be pissy all you want but that is indeed what that means, no slick talk that I saw. I guess maybe it was because your delicate sensibilities were to easily hurt by your CO or his sister or something. Could be truck driving might not be your thing............

MM3Deg Thanks this.
  5. Birdman803

Birdman803 Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Fort Stewart, Georgia
    Spoke with Brad today. Debating Schneider or TMC. I haven't been through the whole thread yet.

Does TMC have ride along? Like if I wanted to take my wife on a trip.

I'm near the Savannah area and they are hiring in my area but I don't see a terminal in Savannah. How would that work?

What are the major differences between Flatbed and Dry van? Looks like Flatbed is more labor intensive. What are some other things?

6. Toona67

Oct 23, 2015
    TMC does have ride a long for people of immediate family 10 years and up. I believe it is $20 a month that comes out of your check. No pets of any kind are allowed.
    Flatbed is much more labor intensive for the most part. It is not horrendous but if you fear heights or cannot imagine lifting 120lb you may want to consider a van trailer. Lumber tarps are 120 or so and steel tarps about 80 lb. most loads are tapped with TMC,(hence the nickname Tarp My Cargo)
    You will be handling chains and binders as well as 30' 4" straps and securement is key to survival.....both yours and those around you.
    I am 48 going on 49 this year and just started 2 months ago. I came out of an office job and had not driven for 4-5 years. Since coming on I have lost about 20# and actually feel a lot bette and stronger. Just have to have a "can do" attitude.
    Hope that helps some with your decision.

7. Toona67

Oct 23, 2015
    As far as the terminals, that is not a big deal. They bounce you to one when you need service. I love SW of Pittsburgh so the nearest terminal is Indianapolis. There is also one in Gaston, SC, Joplin MO (I think) and of course Des Moines.
    I park my truck at a nearby truck stop to my house and leave my car there through the weeks. If you have room at your house you can park there as well. If it is private property not owned by you, they have a form for you to fill out that shows you have permission to park there.

Birdman803 Thanks this.
  8. Birdman803

Birdman803 Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Fort Stewart, Georgia
    This is great info thank you. I'm retiring from the Army so I don't think I should have a problem with the lifting and Heights and such. Seems like this would be a good way to stay in shape. Really got some thinking to do.

9. notread

notread Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2016
    I've heard TMC has pulled all APU's because of the problems they were having with them.

With newer trucks (such as TMC has), that don't allow idling for emissions purposes, how the heck is living in the truck manageable?

I'm thinking Houston summers and Detroit winters?

So even if the company permitted idling, the truck won't "allow" extended idling??

10. Highway Sailor

Highway Sailor Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    That's news to me, but I'm always the last to know.

11. Highway Sailor

Highway Sailor Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    Wait a minute.....when did we get auxiliary power units in our trucks?

Natethetrucker04 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.