My training at Roehl

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by ptw632, Jun 27, 2015.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That's true. Good suggestion, if they get to or near terminals often enough for that to really be feasable.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    From the guys that I'm friends with on Facebook that are trainers they seem to be to or through a terminal every few days. Shouldn't be more than week to get back and get some solid practice.

4. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
    Kinda curious here...you did phase one at a terminal which is eight days with terminal trainers, lot of driving/backing and then eight days with a phase two trainer? Or did you go to Roehl's cdl course?
    Reads to me like "someone" couldn't cut the mustard and it's everyone elses fault...

DriverMike1984 Thanks this.
  5. ATX

ATX Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Savannah, TX (DFW Metro)
    I think he has to hit something first in order to qualify for Close Quarters Training. In Phase 1 Training, they taught me a basic set-up for backing that works. The maneuver had to be completed in 10 minutes or less in order to be cleared for Phase 2 (OTR with Trainer). You also tested out after Phase 2, which included backing, but with no time limit imposed. My first solo dispatch was a tight back and I was unable to complete it as trained. Another Roehl driver on site tried to back my trailer in without success. Finally, a little Mexican who pulled a Pup trailer, jackknifed my trailer into the dock for me. Later that same week with all kinds of room, I had trouble getting the trailer lined up; took me 30 minutes to the dock. Luckily, it was after hours for most deliveries and no other trucks were held up by my backing attempts. Finally, at a tightly packed grocery DC, a FFE (frozen food express) driver showed me how to manage backing in tight quarters. After that, my backing improved rapidly, but not by using the maneuver taught at Roehl at that time. Their system works, but does require more room than you sometimes have in real working conditions. I don't know if their training has changed since early 2013; it probably has.

horsecrazychic22 Thanks this.
  6. Coolbreeze100

Coolbreeze100 Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Macon, GA
    Sceeered maybe? I know I was in Chicago exiting into the surface roads just wide enough for a bicycle.

ATX Thanks this.
  7. YepLTLisbetter

YepLTLisbetter Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2015
    I was with Roehl over 3 years when I first started driving. The training was solid, but far from perfect. The company is decent, but far from the best. They were typically fair and honest though, if you aren't getting your way talk to management about a change.

horsecrazychic22 and ATX Thank this.
  8. widowmaker1

widowmaker1 Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2012
    champaign, illinois
    I currently work for Roehl, i came here from"Stupid" Service. It's an ok company.

ATX Thanks this.
  9. coopnp

coopnp Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    I worked there for 3 years also. It's a sink or swim company training. Tons of people did it before you and after you. The "suck it up," comments in my opinion is bc if you can't hack it with a trainer then you won't when your on your own. And why they didn't give you additional training if you didn't feel comfortable is beyond me. They hold hands with a lot of drivers there and were safety conscious when I was there. But that was 8 months ago. Swift and Werner have long extensive training programs, hit em up. And by no means am I a roehl cheerleader, I hated the place hence my moving on.

10. Lazie

Lazie Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2015
    I'm sry, just thinking about coming back to trucking from a 20 yr hiatus...coulda sworn that a person needs to know how to back to get a cdl?

White_Knuckle_Newbie Thanks this.
  11. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    Yes it's true you do need to know how to back to get a CDL. But remember it's a learned skill not an innate ability. Kinda like algebra or geometry, the more you practice it the better you understand it. I'm betting after 20 years even you might be a little rusty.:biggrin_255:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.