need advice what's needed to start working my 05" Dodge Dually 3500...

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by jmcleod72, Apr 13, 2013.

1. jmcleod72

jmcleod72 Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Hi, I am interested in working my personal truck which happens to be a 05" Dodge Dually 3500. I would love to utilize my vehicle for work such as hauling freight. I do not have a trailer gooseneck today, but am interested on purchasing one one day. Can someone please help with some insight, knowledge as to what I may need to get started such as insurance, DOT regulations, registry any and all advice is appreciated. Also if you know of anyone that I could work with I would be interested. I am located in Houston Texas...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
  4. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Your best bet would be leasing with Acme . I'd put a flatbed on your truck . A lot of loads are a single pallet and don't require a trailer . If I remember correctly though it was a problem putting other bodies on Dodge frames until a couple of years ago .

5. o/otony

o/otony Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2012
    acme or united vision.

6. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    The first thing you need to do is decide what type of freight you want to haul. You could go with a step deck or wedge trailer. With a wedge, you will only be able to pull cars. I know some who are doing well with a dually and a wedge. If you go with a step or flat, you need to look at least for a 40' trailer. I would go with a 48' or 53' trailer.

You need to decide whether you want to run under your own authority or lease to a hot shot carrier. You will need an apportioned base plate or cab card, regardless of which way you go.

If you want to run under your own authority, you need to first check on insurance. Rates will depend on a number of factors, including the type of freight you plan on hauling. In order to engage in interstate commerce, you will need motor carrier authority. If you run under your own authority, you will usually need a minimum of $1 million auto liability and $100,000 cargo. That is not a federal requirement, but is usually required by most shippers and brokers. The feds only require $750,000 auto liability insurance for authority. You can apply for your DOT number at the same time you apply for authority. You cannot do anything until you have your authority, including getting your apportioned tag. You will also need to pay your UCR. You should be under the weight requirement for the 2290 HUT tax.

Before you start spending money, you need to know what you want to do with the truck. Once you make that decision, check on insurance, etc., you can move forward.

mama_bear Thanks this.
  7. loggerdan1

loggerdan1 Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2016
    Hi, You are in a good area for transporting do you have a class A CDL? If not you will be limited to a weight of 26000 lbs. combined truck and trailer. You will need a DOT and MC number IF YOU HAUL OUT OF STATE. There are many companies online that will help you obtain these numbers and all other requirements and it will cost about $1,200. You will need a medical card, you will need Authority, insurance will run you between $6,500-$11,000, you will be required to run a log book. It's not cheap getting into this business, but if you like the open road like I do you can make a living. Not recommended if you have a young family or a wife that doesn't want you gone 5-10 days a month. Good luck! Dan

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.