Need help/advice

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by caliman, Oct 1, 2016.

1. caliman

caliman Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2012
    While driving in kansas..prostar cummins isx asked for a regen ..did parked regen in 40 min or so..this was in Solomon,ks..started to drive west..truck shut down 8 times before I got to Salina,ks..bout 15 mi..Salina international did a forced regen..says doc is not emitting enuf heat bout 750..drove again soon as I cross colorado ,truck shut down again 6 times...I limp til I get to arriba r/a..drove to Denver..Amber or yellow triangle will flash but go away then comes back again..it says engine warning but no codes or description..went to a shop in Denver..they say it's the oil sensor..they replaced it..drove ..got to fort Collins,CO..triangle light comes on and off again..before I get to wy p.o.e. truck shuts down again 4 times..now in here in f/j..waiting till Cheyenne international opens..do u guys have any advice..tnx much

tscottme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

No idea what's going on. Good luck. Stay safe.

4. Rusty Trawler

Rusty Trawler Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2016
    Could be a hundred things
    First thing I'd do is change all sensors
    Good luck

5. Rusty Trawler

Jul 14, 2016
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's a problem.

Stay at that dealer and do not leave until the root cause of that problem is SOLVED.

If your dispatch howls, tell them to assign a known good tractor and either drive it to you or tow one to your location for you to use while that pos rots in the dealer.

That is my position. Trucks that regen, require this and that and something else and so much crap added to them that they cannot run when a few drops short on coolant etc... there is a thousand reasons and ways to kill a modern truck. It's pathetic.

IF this heat comes from your pyrometer, make heat by staying in top RPM in a lower gear until you spike the pyrometer. Burn it. Make the heat. Ya know?

Rusty Trawler Thanks this.
  7. Rusty Trawler

Jul 14, 2016
    The problem I've found with that, is the dealer will change something, do a Regen and declare the problem fixed.
    No codes, no warning light.
    You drive away whistling a happy tune, then a hundred miles down the road, the light comes back on.
    I had a truck like that
    Fought it nonstop for nearly a year
    Everything was fixed and changed that could be
    Even the entire wire harness twice
    It was finally declared cursed and I refused to drive it.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ronnie Dowdy endured thousands in three shops in three states fixing my FLD 120 for a period of three weeks one time. The final root cause problem was a corroded water sensor which no one bothered to dig into that deep and replace.

He did not fire me and I told him this is a very good truck and SHOUlD and ought to be fixed. We should not have to be 50 miles down the road in good weather overheating over nothing... or something no one is willing to fix.

There is a difference between you, the human who needs to be fixed in a trauma shop and you can say Im still not fixed I need to stay and not be discharged. In a vehicle, you don't get to say that, they kick you out and consider your problem solved today. Never mind later on.

9. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Probably the doser injector

10. Rusty Trawler

Jul 14, 2016
    Right?
    Everytime they swore it was finally fixed for good, I'd say, wanna bet?
    I'd tell em it would light up and derate before I'd get a hundred miles and I was always right.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I once had $10G spent in 2 months on an electrical problem shutting ecm down. One day the engine got washed and truck wouldn't start. Wash boys found bare wire from starter motor to ecm. Shorting against the frame. Free fix and truck never shut down again. It was just a scratch in the insulation. enough to cause a short. 05 w900

x1Heavy and Rusty Trawler Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.