Need help poor fuel milage

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by McDaniel Trucking, Jun 2, 2015.

1. McDaniel Trucking

McDaniel Trucking Light Load Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Lisbon Falls Maine
    Give you a run down of the truck first.

2004 FLD Classic
    14L Detroit with EGR less than 200,000 on rebuild
    18 Speed
    RD 23-160 rears was 4:30 upgraded to RD 23-160 3:73 Memorial weekend
    Shifting gears no higher than 1700 rpm

Now here's my issue I bought the truck and was getting 4.5 - 4.7 mpg running highway turning 1700-2000 rpm with the 4:30's Upgraded to 3:73's to bring the rpms down and save fuel now running 1400-1700 rpm on the same runs now I have dropped to 4.0 - 4.3 fuel mileage went in the wrong direction.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    You have a turbo boost meter installed? I have one in the heap I'm driving now, and it really helps with saving fuel if you use it right. I try to keep it at around 15 psi or less if I can help it. Sure, everyone at the truck stop is going to talk smack about how they ran rings around you, but you'll be the guy at the end of the counter counting that extra $200 he didn't have to spend at the fuel lane.

tallmon Thanks this.
  4. McDaniel Trucking

Dec 2, 2012
    Lisbon Falls Maine
    yup pulling hills 40-50 psi running down the highway 30 psi

5. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    dear fiend when you change the rear gears you need to hook up dddl and change the settings so ecm will calculate mpg correct. Same way you need to update the calibration settings when you change the wheels from 24 to 22.5 (or other way) ...

Shaggy76 Thanks this.
  6. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    40-50 psi ? or your boost pressure gauge is not correct or your turbo is overspeeding. overspeeding can cause mpg go down... the turbo speed can reach max to 100.000 rpm and at that speed your boost pressure must be 35-37 psi. no more than that!

7. McDaniel Trucking

Dec 2, 2012
    Lisbon Falls Maine
    Turbo is a VGT replaced gauge in March according to Detroit dealer turbo pressure is correct for this motor with the EGR and VGT.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Is it a mechanical gauge?

If you are showing 30psi while cruising, then you have a problem. The more pressure while running, the more fuel you use.

Start with checking the air path from the turbo to the engine for restrictions and/or air leaks.

mhyn and tech10171968 Thank this.
  9. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    you must have 7-20 psi while cursing in flat road... no more than 20 psi.

10. Shaggy76

Shaggy76 Heavy Load Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Sounds like you are getting pressure from the EGR being closed when it should open up. A bad EGR being stuck closed can cause as bad fuel mileage as one being stuck open. Stuck open you lose power and stuck closed you are over boosting, which is what your engine is doing, which is causing the fuel to dump more because the engine is reading the boost being high.

Check your EGR operation.

Sit in the truck with key off. Start the truck. Wait for air pressure to build and listen for the turbo to start its spool up at idle. This indicated the EGR is in a partial closed state, but still allowing the gases to go through.

Now rev the engine 3 times. Not slow, but like you are sitting at a stop light revving your engine to race someone. Listen to the engine and you will hear the turbo unspool and the high whine should go away completely. Your EGR is now in full open state. Look at the exhaust and watch it. It will have a very small haze of color. The engine will go back to its regular idle state in a minute or two and you should see the smoke go to clear. If you are not getting the slight smoke during this time, your EGR valve isn't opening up fully and then is needs to be checked into further.

Technicians will do the same stap with a computer while recording for playback to see what the pressures are reading on the Delta P sensor and the boost sensor. There are specs for those to indicate the EGR is functioning properly or not before needing to change it out.

The EGR doesn't have a sensor on it. It is only commanded and the computer doesn't know what the EGR state is. It can only determine that by the pressures it is reading on the Delta P sensor. You can have the beginning stages of a full EGR failure and not have a code, yet. You see this a lot on the 2007 EPA engines and the dpf filter plugs up quicker than normal.

11. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    ddrs or dddl will show the problem quick...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.