Need help with a DOT regulation.

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by mackzar, Apr 30, 2016.

1. mackzar

mackzar Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Greetings,

Need help with a DOT regulation.

I currently am operating a tri axle trailer. I lost a wheel bearing yesterday that destroyed the spindle.

I am being told that I am legal to remove the tires and chain up the damaged axle and still operate until I can get back home to repair it? I know not to exceed the remaining two axles weight limits.

Sure would appreciate the actual DOT regulation stating that I can do this because one DOT officer will tell me I can and the next will tell me I can’t.

Thanks for any help.

Dale

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Let me get this straight, you want to haul freight like that? Two words, HELL NO! to limp off the hwy to a shop, yes.

4. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

What's the difference in chaining one up and hauling freight with a tridem with a rear lift??

OP what axle did you lose the bearing on??

flood Thanks this.
  5. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    I see nothing wrong with doing as you say while staying within the limits of the remaining axles, EXCEPT; since you lost one bearing and axle, who is to say the others are not going fail in the immediate future without an inspection to insure their integrity?

I would be getting it repaired and the remaining axles inspected, ASAP!

6. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    My mistake, did not see the triaxle part. As long as it is fully chained up and doesn't have the air supply to the bags I don't see an issue, but it also depends on the dot officers that want to mess with you also. Running around with the wheels off and chained up throws a big red flag around.

7. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

I agree with that but it's not inherently illegal. Although it gives them a thought to inspect the rest of the vehicle.

8. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    see it all the time at some of the auto plants
    loads don't weigh much so they just chain up 1 axel

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.