Need help with sending...

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by CB rookie, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Outlaw CB

Outlaw CB Light Load Member

May 26, 2012
    Correct. Get a new Wilson 1000 or 5000 magnet mount tune it, set it in center of roof as best you can. Completely eliminate the old antenna system from the picture.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio
    I dont mean to be condescending here, but are you trying on channel 19?
    Are you hearing any cb traffic at all?

A wilson 1k or 5k would be a much better antenna. But there is no reason you should not be able to transmit and receive, at least a couple miles with that antenna. Unless there is a short in line somewhere, which your swr does not indicate.

My advice would be, since you have no for sure way to know if you are getting out or not, find a cb shop with a base. There is surely one near somewhere. Tell them your situation, and ask them to give you a radio check. If you are not transmitting, they can bench test your radio and amp,(usually for free) and help you figure out where the problem lies. JMO before you go spend more money on another antenna that may, or may not be the problem.

Also, if the guy at the audio shops meter was correct, 3 watts is too much drive for that amp. Its possible you are ovrrdriving, and transmitting a garbled up mess, and no one can understand. Another possible reason for no radio checks.

4. GreenMonster9669

GreenMonster9669 Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2014
    St Louis
    You will always receive farther than you can transmit.

5. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio
    There are some on this link that may be ablr to help. I dont know their reputations, but there are reviews on there.
    http://m.yp.com/pontiac-mi/cb-radio-repair-shops

6. Trckdrvr

Trckdrvr Heavy Load Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Georgia
    I think its pretty common to p/u further than you can put out..
    I run with my RF gain open and commonly pu signal from OKL..even TX..

7. Trckdrvr

Trckdrvr Heavy Load Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Georgia
    oh..well if that what you are basing ot on?..Radio checks?..Forgettaboutit..

8. TAfool

TAfool Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2012

That amp is designed for bone stock radios and will take a wide range of inputs. Specs call for 0.5 to 10 watts so his 3watt input will work fine.

TA

Bout Z Thanks this.
  9. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio
    You may be right TA, im only speculating that cbrookie is overdriving. Based on what Ive read, and seen, those little amps like a 1-1.5 watt carrier, 2 max. Take manufacturers specs for what they are, but put a 10 watt am carrier into it and the only thing you'll get out is smoke lol.:D

10. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    If you are constantly asking for radio checks people may just be tuning you out. Unfortunately there are certain individuals who just seem to constantly ask for radio checks then proceed to argue with whomever answers them. If you want to see if anyone is listening simply state "I believe the gal in the Mazda is driving topless" If anyone nearby has their radio on that should provoke a reaction. Crude but effective.

11. CB rookie

CB rookie Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Roger that! LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.