Need some HELP, advice about a SNI Georgia Pacific Dedicated accout out of Va?

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Solitude Farm, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Solitude Farm

Solitude Farm Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Va
    Well, I am new to this forum. I am being offered a dedicated accout with SNI out of the Big Island, Va DC for Georgia Pacific. I am with-in 25 miles of this location from my home. This is a good start! Been told I'd be hauling heavy rolls, and at times tissue paper loads. I've been told that some loads maybe multi stop deliveries? Some of the aresa that I would be going to are GA, AL, OH, etc and that 2800 miles a week is average. It seams I'd be going from DC to DC on the east coast.

I have no way of knowing any better, but to ask you EXPERIENCED SNI drivers, who have driven this account, been to the other DC's before, know all about the ISSUES that I will face, D&H, Lumpers, Live loads, , the in's and out's to this now driving job, etc...

I would be greatful for an account in more details about this Big Island, VA location? What to exspect, How long are the waits to be loaded?Issues and if this is worth my time for consideration? I maybe asking for to much information, but I feel it is needed I do not want to be in the dark and the more info I have, the better I will approach it and can make a correct desission.

On another note, I did run across a thread about paper mills and found that also interesting. It did not mention about my VA area, but I am just asking if this shoe fits? Is GP a BIG paper mill DC? Ok.. I will await any replies with interest and hope for the best info, to make a decission upon. Again I'm new here, so please bear with my questions for HELP and Understanding about this GP account. Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dieselfuelonly

dieselfuelonly Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I can't tell you about the account since I've never run it. But yes, the place in Big Island, VA is a BIG place. And its a terrible place to get in and out of, too. Especially in a Schneider truck when grossing 79,998 lbs with those giant paper roll loads that always come out of that location. 2 lane curving, hilly goatpath in, same deal out. Especially sucks in the rain. Me personally, I'd look at some other options if you wanna go dedicated with Schneider, that place is seriously one of my least favorite customers that I used to get sent to.

EggoTrucker Thanks this.
  4. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Going in and out of Big Island is a royal pain, but I've rarely meet a Georgia Pacific dedicated driver who was unhappy with the account. Then again most of the GP drivers I know run out of Green Bay which has fewer mountains to haul 79,999 up and down.

EggoTrucker Thanks this.
  5. Solitude Farm

Solitude Farm Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Va
    Hey gRoger & diesel.. that you for BOTH of your replies! I value your inputs! I have some more questions if you can answer them, please?

It apears from your replies that both of you have brought in and pulled out of the Big Island GP location before. I drove over there yesterday for ###### & Giggles to see what it was about? I drove in from I-81 to rt11 to Natural Bridge, to rt130, then Rt501 into Big Island, Va.. It was a nice drive in my personal vehical.

Yup it was a winding rd on rt301, hair pin turns, VERY slow going, in my Subaru SW. I Would be WORST if doing this in a T/T I will agree! lol Just how well do they load these BIG, HEAVT, rolls, to keep them from SHIFTING "WHILE TAKING THESE", these tight turns??? You sure are not going to break any speed limits doing this!!! LOL Guess, just lucky to just keep the T/T moving?

Yea, its has ALL the nice views of the James River, but it will be difficult going In and out, of this place. I guess I will get use to it, like every thing else, that I need to get done! I, Will not call any JOY, about it so far... I will see how it goes in a RIG @ 79K ??? Arg!!!

I did stop at the guard house while I was there. Can up to a young 20 something Female at the shack, I told her I was from SNI and asked her IF she had, a map of the place and any proceedures that a driver would need to follow? She was very helpful, gave me the staging info to get in/out by, cb channel to be on, and a map! I am BLESSED!!! LOL...

I will guess that nearly all GP DC's will be simular about moving in/out a T/T? I do hope that there are NOT any more GP locations with a Terrain like Big Island... Is there any?

6. EggoTrucker

EggoTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Like they said driver...i do not think you would want to do that account lol..and considering its only one legal route out of there, every trip into big island you would lose a lot of miles...And i dont wanna think about Big Island when it snow lol

7. Drisanna

Drisanna Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Maryland
    My husband was on a GP Big Island Run for over a year (with a different company), and hated every minute of it. The trips were low mileage (300ish miles) but time-consuming due to the access issues already mentioned, the receivers close down stupidly early so that you are often left sitting from 3 in the afternoon until the following morning when they open again, it was a combination of drop and hook and live loads/unloads. His mileage (and therefore pay) were barely enough to keep food in our mouths. He's still driving for the same company, and on the dedicated GP account, but off the Big Island run, for which circumstance we give thanks daily. It might be a way to get your foot in the door and build up some seniority so that you can transfer to a better run later, but I honestly believe you will be miserable.

If you take it, I hope you will find that your situation is better than the experience we had.

8. dustingreenway

dustingreenway Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Atlanta
    Well I just got GP with Schneider coming out of Atlanta. Hope I will like it.

9. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    You CANNOT go into big ISLAND ( see my play on words ) in a big rig the same as you can a car from the interstate.

10. dustingreenway

dustingreenway Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Atlanta
    With Dedicated GP will I only go to the same places each week?

11. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    believe you would see regular customers for sure, but the same places week after week? not likely, but then again no ones running that accout on this forum that I'm aware of.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.