Need Unbiased Opinion Please

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Slyfox4869, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Slyfox4869

Slyfox4869 Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Houston,Tx
    Help, too much at once. Just found this page and I am suppose to have to have the coming together if you will staring at 8 am in the morning, but I refuse to complain but I need advice. I have driven for 24 yrs legally,(sssshhhh about previous six yrs), so I have put in my time. So 20 years as a company driver and 4 yrs as a owner/operator running local to be at home with my new husband. Well due to circumstance beyond our control we had to park the truck so I could be home with my hubby. Now I have the chance to make money with my truck again, except not driving it but leasing my truck to a individual that wants to lease my truck for a few months to help me get the company up and running, then if all is well he has the option to be a partner since he is helping to get it started. I am wondering if it is a smart move and if so how much would you lease a 2001 Freightliner for? Any advice is very much appreciated..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I guess it really depends on the "partner", as to whether or not it's a good idea. Business partnerships can sour quickly if you're not both on the same page. I would think this out a little better and come up with a contract of some sort to ensure that your interests are protected in this partnership. If this person is pressuring you to seal the deal by 0800, s/he may be trying to take advantage of you. It's obvious that you are in no way prepared for this business venture, so don't be pressured into jumping in prematurely. You need a financial plan, a division of labor agreement, a division of operating expenses agreement, and a division of profits agreement. Who's paying for fuel, maintenance, taxes, etc? Do you even have a revenue source lined up yet? Why does it have to "come together" by 0800 today?

4. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    If you have the truck all/ready to go then no reason to rush to drive into a deep hole, be sure you get Qual. with new co. so you can drive your truck if ness. ?

5. ira1377

ira1377 Light Load Member

May 10, 2011
    Bradenton, Fl
    I know it's an opinion you want, but you probably know the answer already.

TruckDuo and 123456 Thank this.
  6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Red flags all over this. Don't let someone rush you into something like this. The only kind of ship that won't float is a partnership. Personally I would pass on a deal like this and leave the truck parked. One truck can't support 2 families. Wait until you're ready and do it all yourself. You don't need this other guy at all he's just dead weight that can't get his own truck. What is it with broke drivers coming up with every scheme in the world to try and get into ownership? If they'd put half that effort into an honest effort no telling what they could accomplish. If someone can't manage money they're not ready to manage any part of a business.

7. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
  8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I have to agree with this. 1 truck will not net enough to support 2 families. Not if you factor proper maintenance and repairs into the equation.

Hurst

rollin coal Thanks this.
  9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I agree with Hurst and Rolling Coal.

If you 'put your time in', you've seen good drivers and bad drivers. A good driver is never, and I mean NEVER in want in this industry. Sure, he may have a setback, but he's never in want. I have never known a good driver that went to a truck owner to pressure them into using their truck to start a business. If a driver has experience, has a good record, has a good name, the offers come to him...not vise versa. This guy you're refering to, he is probably a friend or an aquaintance that found out that you have a truck just sitting. Do not confuse a good friend with a good driver. This is business and YOUR NAME (the most valuable thing you have) is on that truck. You're obviously not hurting for money, so why the pressure to make a decision?

Want to make money with that truck? Either sell it outright OR hire a driver. Like I said, good drivers are never in want, so trying to find a good experienced driver is almost impossible. You have to lure him in from someone else's truck ($$$$). I'd hire a rookie before I'd hire a veteran dirtbag. You can at least train a rookie to be a solid driver. You cant do that with a dirtbag.

Hurst, rollin coal and Dinomite Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.