NEW 2015 Pete 389 help air cleaner lights???

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by terryt, Jun 28, 2015.

1. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Just got my new 389 glider and I installed light bars on the air cleaners OEM lights with OEM plugs. Plugged them to the wires from factory but they are not working. What wrongs? Tired all the spare switchs nothing. Also going to install cab and sleeper lights where do you run the wires to power these lights from?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sydsdriver

sydsdriver Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2009
    In the truck
    Did you check for fuses? If they did not connect lights to that circuit when they built it they probably did not put a fuse in the fuseblock.

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  4. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    You probably will have to go to Pete or somebody that has their software. I ran into that with a 2014 389. We had lights prewired and switches installed, but all circuits are controlled by a computer and they had to turn those circuits on using their proprietary software. What a bunch of crock.

5. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    I think I found the correct schematic. They are not multiplexed, so you do not need a dealer to program anything. If it was factory wired for air cleaner lights, the wires should be labeled "P615 LH COWL LTS" and "P614 RH COWL LTS". These will go to a spare switch, the plug at the switch will be labeled P611. 2 of those wires will run over behind the instrument cluster to a spare switch and that plug will be labeled P613. Depending on what slot the P613 plug is in, that will require a 15 amp fuse in the panel in the driver kick panel (one of the spare slots).

Under cab lights are also on that same switch, you'll find the wires somewhere on the firewall on each side. They will be labeled "P616 RH CAB/SLPR LTS" and "P617 LH CAB/SLPR LTS" on the left.

All this true only if the truck was factory wired for these lights. If only the harness was installed, you may need a switch, spare power jumper and/or fuse.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    terryt Thanks this.
  6. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    After 3 hours of doing everything that you posted GrapeApe I called Fitzgeralds to see if they knew what was wrong. Since the lights are LED they are polarized and must be wired as such. Sure enough they wired the lights wrong I cut and cross the wires they all work. This was such a waste of my time but learned the whole electric system under the dash.

7. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Were these lights bought recently?

8. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Yes just got them from Iowa 80 with OEM plug for Peterbilt 389 but they are wire wrong according to Fitzgeralds they see this a lot with the LED lights it the first thing they check.

9. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    The last LED lights i bought that were sensitive to + and - being reversed was 10y ago.
    Good thing you found out about it.

10. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    A test light can save soooo much time

11. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    I thought of that, but I assumed that since they were Pete lights, they were plug and play (already wired. That's what I get for assuming.

Well, at least you know this for when you add the under the cab lights :).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.