New 30 minute break guidelines?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by j76ny, Nov 14, 2015.

1. j76ny

j76ny Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Canandaigua,NY
    Actually that's the best advice yet.

Throw it out the window and use paper.

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. deathtrap

deathtrap Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Rogers
    the deal is your not waiting and truck is moving 5mph or less will resort in logs being on duty truck has to stay still whole time on duty and on 30 min break. no more creeping the parking lot at 28 min.

4. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    As deathtrap stated.

The truck needing to be off for a few minutes is bogus. The truck cannot move any distance in the 30 minutes to qualify. I had that issue shortly after the qualcomm update myself. But the other night, I pulled over for a 30 minute, never shut the truck off during that time, and got the full 30 min in, drive time reset, and took off with no problem.

5. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC

Sorry, just now noticed this... can they quote the FMCSA Guideline? I don't see where the FMCSA will get into telling you when to shut your truck off and turn it back on. What if you are on paper logs... what do you do, flag you shut the truck off?

Please I would be interested in seeing in writing this "Guideline".

Sounds more like a EOBR guideline from the QC folks.

Pages 4/5

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/Drivers Guide to HOS 2015_508.pdf

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  6. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Not even QC folks requiring engine shutoff. Did a legit 30 with no issues Monday eve and never turned off truck. Elog didn't have a problem.

7. wildyams

wildyams Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2013
    It's not exactly like what is being reported above, but it is close. The way the QC works is if you start moving at all it will log that as driving time after you go past a specific distance threshold (say, 1.5 miles). But once you cross that threshold, even if it takes an hour to go that distance, all of that time will be logged as drive time, so you could suddenly see your DOT clock jump significantly if you start by creeping along or even by trying to pull over for a minute to keep it from logging you as driving (or like if you tried to switch to off while stuck in traffic or something).

The only way to stop that clock from starting is to not move at all for 5 minutes (whether the truck is on or not doesn't matter, just so long as the wheels don't move at all). So if you take your 10 and then start your pre-trip and do a tug test or brake check which involves moving the wheels at all, then unless you then sit there without moving for 5 minutes afterward, it will consider that you started driving whenever the wheels first moved. That's how the pre-trip could go from 15 minutes down to 4 suddenly.

So you can set yourself as off and then creep around for an hour without having it switch to driving as long as you don't go past whatever that threshold is (in my truck it's somewhere between 1.2 and 1.5 miles). But before you do cross that threshold you need to be totally stopped for 5 minutes or it will go back and count ALL of that as driving.

tl;dr - Just before you come off of any break, or before you begin any driving, make sure the last 5 minutes of it are spent without the truck moving at all, even if you are coming off of being logged as on duty/not driving (like with a pre-trip).

j76ny and Coolbreeze Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.