New class A driver, not new to trucking business

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BostonTanker, May 29, 2015.

1. BostonTanker

BostonTanker Road Train Member

May 2, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Hey y'all.
    I successfully passed my CDL A license test Wednesday afternoon.
    I've had my class B cdl for 5 years.
    I've been pounding the streets of Boston, MA for 10 years.
    So my company truck broke down again today. Between November and today, with snow for 3 weeks and breakdowns, I'm at 7+ weeks lost pay.
    I'm starting to think hard about going regional otr.
    Don't care if I do dollar accounts or flatbed.
    Not looking to go coast to coast, ot too deep into the south. Been to Texas, Don't particularly care for the ideals Coming out of that region of the country.
    My requirements are simple. Truck needs working air conditioning, can be apu equipped. Needs to have inverter with enough power to power small fridge and cooker. I don't eat crappy cheaply made food. Oh, and company has to have a better rider policy than TMC. My girlfriend and I have been together for 2 years. We're not getting married just so I can drive a shiny pete.
    We're thinking of packing up and putting our stuff in storage for two years while she finishes her master's in psychology and criminal justice.

I have 5 years experience operating class B trucks. I've operated combination working in the wrecker business for 10 years.
    I have a 10+ yr clean MVR, Smith system and NSC DDS certifications.
    So I know starting out it can be crappy. However, can I get a few reccomendations for decent companies?
    I was thinking of hooking up with Werner, as I have a friend who is making money and is happy running mid west regional dollars account . He is a trainer, and it would make the transition easier than getting stuck with some eastern European or some scummy messy stinky no shower driver.
    Feel free to input, and thank you so much for reading.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    You ever have a friend that told you about his new lady? He talks about how sexy she is and how hot and whatnot, and when you meet the girl, she's so ugly that you wince in pain the first time you see her? That ever happen to you? Well, Werner is that ugly girlfriend. Now, if your friend is happy in an ugly relationship, you support him and wish him the best. But if your friend tells you that she's freaky and invites you into a 3 way, what do you do?

"Well Six, I dont know you and I know my friend. I have to trust the words of my friend."

Very well. In Japan, when the locals see a big and ugly creature, they point and scream, "Godzilla!" If Werner, the trucking company, is actually a big and ugly monster, people here will point and say, "Godzilla!"

Ruthless Thanks this.
  4. BostonTanker

May 2, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Lol. I've worked for some dumps in the wrecker business. Life is what you make of it. Their pay for the dollar accounts is really not bad. And knowing him helps. I'm up to other reccomendations. Just happy to have my CDL A after 13 years of never being in the right place at the right time.

5. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ever look into NEMF in N Reading? A Duie Pyle is supposed to be awesome to but their not Union so not sure of the pay or benefits, I know they have city driver positions open now though. No need to got OTR if you don't want to.

6. BostonTanker

May 2, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Yes. I know about both of them. My uncle has been a Pyle for a Long time. Ive been pounding the streets of Boston for 10 years. I'm tired of it. And I would want to do linehaul, not p&d.

7. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Why? hand trucking crap around all the people that parked around you on Mass ave a 3pm doesn't give you the warm and fuzzies? LOL! I feel ya man, don't blame ya. I just got on NEMF down here in VA and would love to at some point sneak my way onto daytime linehaul, sure it's not easy though. I got doubles already so that may help me at some point, but having zero terminal seniority will bite me in the backside for a while. I'll make do though. I'm just leaving the beverage industry doing bulk supermarket delivery so I'm seeing the upside to everything at this point haha.

8. BostonTanker

May 2, 2015
    Boston, MA
    LOL.
    I was a wrecker driver for 10 years. Repos, private property towing, worked the big truck wrecks. The last year I've been driving a smooth bore vaccum tanker. I do 20-25 restaurants a day. I wanna stretch my legs a little. Noticed even though I lost a few more pounds my knees are hurting lately. I love working nights. I do want to see more of the region, or do trash, or linehaul. But I want to earn my TT experience

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.