New Driver - Already have CDL - Training?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by cannonrush, Nov 7, 2015.

1. cannonrush

cannonrush Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2015
    I have my CDL but have no experience. If I get hired by swift do I have to go to one of their training school locations? I live in Northern California, and I'm curious if they will send me off to Arizona or somewhere for a long time to do training before I start driving. Thanks for any info

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dodgeram440rt

dodgeram440rt Heavy Load Member

May 19, 2009
    Piqua, Ohio
    No. If you have your cdl, you will go straight to orientation at whatever the closest terminal will be, then out with your mentor for 200 btw (behind the wheel) training hours.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Have you graduated from CDL school or do you plan to attend Swift CDL school.

5. cannonrush

cannonrush Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Yes I have my cdl and graduated from a cdl school. There is a terminal close to me in CA but it's not one of their training schools. I want to sign on and drive with them, I'm just curious if they are going to send me off to a training camp. I've read a lot of horror stories, so I just wanted to get some advice before talking to a recruiter.

6. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    Why would you not want to talk to a recruiter and get the true information ? Its not like they can reach through the phone and force you to sign on. It seems foolish to expect accurate info from the legion of trolls who have already started to descend most of whom have no ffirsthand knowledge of Swift .

They will screen you with a simple background and MVR check then send you to the Lathrop terminal for orientation . You will next experience the challenge of 200 hours behind the wheel with a mentor and you will be paid state minimum wage for on duty time plus a dollar for on duty driving . You will then be upgraded to solo and be assigned your truck and turned loose .

BTW , Lathrop is one of the better terminals based on how well they treat their drivers although you can be based out of any terminal in the country if you choose .

inkeper Thanks this.
  7. Tarkus

Tarkus Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Exactly ....

I am leaving tomorrow to get to Columbus Terminal and do the 3 day orientation. Have already been told what they are going to do. I have had my CDL since 1991 but do not have verifiable driving in the last 2 years. Job I had did not need my CDL w/ tanker but I have kept it current all these years for situations like this. I was told I would be there for the 3 days then out with a Mentor around 4 to 6 weeks. After that I would get my first solo load and would direct me back to my house maybe around 2 to 3 days to get what I need for equipment I will need for myself/truck. Should be home the week of Christmas during this time which should work out good but if I am out longer that's okay.

I was told I could stay out 21 days yet if I were to stay out longer I would not get more time off being out longer. Today I am wrapping up everything I will need to be with my Mentor and keeping it light but the essentials. They will email you a list of things to take and what to expect.

Just pick up the phone and call a recruiter and pick his brain as you would with your Mentor.

8. jerezxp7

jerezxp7 Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2007
    oregon
    My friend am I reading this wrong. How long did you drive for before the 2 years off? If you have a few years experience why the hell would you start back up at swift hell I could get you on a leavitts if your experienced but had several years off.

G13Tomcat and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I've read lots of good posts on Leavitt's. I've recommended Leavitt's to many new drivers based on those posts and private communications with a Leavitt's driver. My question is, does Leavitt's have driver facing cameras like Swift does & sound monitoring where they can hear you chatting on your cell phone or with whoever might be in the truck with you?

dennisroc Thanks this.
  10. jerezxp7

jerezxp7 Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2007
    oregon
    Absolutely not they wouldn't dare. Your expected to handle your own business at leavitts they are not looking over your shoulder.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. Tarkus

Tarkus Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I'm sorry ... I just read on how I wrote that. I have not driven since 1995 but I have drove off and on for a friend locally. So there is nothing verifiable from his business since I was not on payroll. I drove since we have been good friends since school and the driving was maybe once a month here and there. Have been working in our family business which does not require me to drive.

I had talked to other companies and they would have to take it up with safety *which I understand* and others wanted me to do a refresher course. Swift said I could come on board so that is the route I am gonna do since I can go ahead and start getting the seat time quicker.

Sorry again for how the wording was in the first post I did.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.