new driver

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Lance W, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Lance W

Lance W Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2015
    Southern Utah
    Hey everyone, been reading the forums here for a while now (very informative)and decided I wanted to post a little about my experiences going thru schooling for my class A and the ensuing problems with trying to find work (other than the mega carriers)
    I've been in the construction business for over 15 years but decided around June of last year to change careers and get my CDL. I didn't have the $3000 the school cost so I went to my WFS to apply for a student loan. Thankfully having a family of four I was able to get funding. The crap part is it took 8 weeks for me to finally get qualified.
    Now with that taken care of I was excited and thinking by 6 weeks I would be getting paid to drive a tractor all over this great country :)...,
    But the school (Southwest Applied Tech College) needed at least 3 people signed up before they started a class!:mad:
    It wasn't until the first of November that I got the call saying they had rounded up 2 more and were starting the class :D.
    I was stoked as hell! So anyway long story short, the school was great, I learned a #### ton on the business side and how to drive a tractor, I ended up driving 1740 miles in training, not bad in my opinion considering some of the other guys that have posted here that didnt even get half those miles in school, but it took a little longer because of the holidays and such so it wasn't until the 11th of january that I took my driving test and finally got my Class A (with all endorsements to boot)
    So ya 7 long months from when I decided to get my licence to actually having one was a killer, but worth it.
    And there was the next obstacle, no experience meant most of the smaller outfits could not hire me (insurance purposes) God I hate those words now! without at least 6m,1yr,2yrs what the hell! How's a guy 's supposed to get experience if no one let's me try! ( I know I know there's alway swift,cr england, navajo ect) but I didn't want to work for any of those mega carriers were I would have had to be out for 2weeks + just to be home for a quick 2 days and make crap pay for the first while, and it seemed there was nothing really good said about any of those companies on here.
    So 3 weeks after school I was back swinging a hammer to help cover the rent, about to give up and go and work for one of the mega's when I happened to get a call from a company that runs flatbed not far from where I live, and there insurance will cover me! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    .40 to start avg 2000,3000wk home most weekends and they cover 60 % of medical for entire family after 90 days and ill get bumped up to .42
    Not bad for a rookie I think :)
    Still don't have a start date though, I went in on monday and took the drug test which I'm sure they should have gotten back by now, just waiting to here back from them I hope it's soon though cause i'm so ready to get this new career started.
    Any way thanks for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to sharing my journey's in flatbedding with you all!

roadmap65 and d o g Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    Welcome aboard and congratulations!

d o g and Lance W Thank this.
  4. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    You sound like a very excited and energetic person. You'll have fun bouncing around a skateboard.
    Congrats on the job.
    Remember to stay lighthearted and always act like you know nothing because you'll get treated like it anyway.
    It's a fun job if you're a fun person.

sdpetheram and Lance W Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.