New to the chemical tank scene. I need all the help I can get!!!

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by BACON XXL, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Mrtbone

Mrtbone Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Bacon do you get paid by the mile or % of gross ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

As a new tanker driver myself it is good to see other success stories!
    Good luck Bacon....Sounds like things are going darn good!

The only thing I wish is that I got into tanks 30 years ago instead of van and reefer freight.

BACON XXL and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  4. BACON XXL

BACON XXL Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Highland Co. Ohio
    24% plus detention and there is non revenue pay. Plus layover and
    On time bonuses.

5. BACON XXL

Nov 6, 2015
    Highland Co. Ohio
    I have been in tanks for years. I hauled gasoline. Is is a big change. An old man told me years ago to get in on something not everyone else can do. The second piece of advise was there is only one way to unload a tanker...through a hose. And ther is no such thing as a tanker tarp. That was 12 years ago. Still makes sense today.

EZ Money Thanks this.
  6. EZ Money

I was just about to sign on to a gas hauler company when this job popped up..
    SO glad I went with this private carrier...I'm the only truck and deliver what they make.

Anything I ask for to dress up the truck they buy it.....Been wearing out the internet buying chicken lights and chrome.....lol!!!!
    They are setting up an account at Blue Beacon for me too...
    I have been washing it on the weekends...They pay me for that if I want to do it.

7. BACON XXL

Nov 6, 2015
    Highland Co. Ohio
    Sounds like a great gig...

EZ Money Thanks this.
  8. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    That's awesome. Private company vs common carrier is an a amazing difference. My first tanker job was a private carrier and now my second Will be a common carrier and it couldn't be anymore different. Pay is lower, no pension, no preloaded trailers, no out and backs. But I can't work for someone that I'm disgusted with. The common carrier was night and day difference to talk to. They made me feel like I'm a human being.

Going to miss those preloaded trailers and the out and backs though lol

EZ Money Thanks this.
  9. EZ Money

Good luck scythe! I hope the new company treats you well.

I ran for a private carrier a few years ago and loved it.
    Some big company got the contract away from them that they had been running 14 years.

Then I done some OTR for a couple places but was just sick and tired of dispatchers,brokers and the sit and wait game week after week.

So glad I found the deal I'm on now.....I will have only 1 night away from home this week and making OTR money...
    The out and straight back is the best.....No back hauls ever!
    The most I spend in the truck is 2 nights a week..It feels strange to be in my own bed most nights.

10. BACON XXL

Nov 6, 2015
    Highland Co. Ohio
    This week has been good, I think. I started Monday with a dead head to Toledo and grabbed a load that delivered to Harrison OH. (West side Cincy).

Went home Monday night. Tuesday I live loaded in Monroe OH for a Columbus MS. That was supposed to deliver Thursday am. The receiver said he could take it early so I charged south and made it to Decatur AL. Got up and headed out at noon for a 5pm delivery. I cut through the woods and saw some really cool two lane logging country. Made my delivery @ a steel mill in Columbus. I spent 3hrs in my acid suit. I had to block up my landing gear to get enough drop to get all the product delivered.

After that we headed north through MS. This time. Made it to Jackson TN. I drove on in to the Cincy yard where I am now waiting to load in morn. For a load to Maumee oh.

That's it for now..

11. EZ Money

Good deal Bacon!

Sounds like things are working out for you.
    Should be a decent Friday.....short run up I-75 to Maumee...(I grew up in Perrysburg right there at the 475 split)

BACON XXL Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.