New, with questions!

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by NorthTexan17, Sep 13, 2015.

1. NorthTexan17

NorthTexan17 Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2015
    So I've been lurking for a few years now, and figured I finally sign up and join the forum. I've always been intrigued by hot shot trucking and ltl work. I am considering (cautiously exploring) a move into this line of work. I've got a class B CDL and have been driving a concrete mixer truck for 10 years now. In the last year there have been some changes at work (being bought out by another company) that have me questioning why I'm still there. The biggest issue I deal with is having to call a recording each night at 6pm to find out when I report to work the next day, and usually I go in at 1 or 2 am...so enjoy your rest, what 3-4 hours of sleep I get on average each night. On top of that, I usually work 12-15 hours a day, consistently 62-70 hours a week. Usually once a month we get hung out past 15 hours and have to wait for hours for someone to come pick up the truck and the biggest thorn in my side is you can absolutely NOT take off or schedule to be off on a Saturday, even with a vacation request its a big no no, up to termination, and then you may not even have been scheduled to work anyway, but you don't know until Friday at 6pm!!! After 10 years of this, I'm just tired. I can never make real plans with my family, Its hard for me to make it to any of my daughters school/sports activities due to if I'm not on the clock, I'm asleep. I get paid by the load plus Chinese overtime and a clean truck bonus each week. Lately, there are reports coming from legit sources that Jan. 1 we are going to go to pay by the hour...that will not be good, if that comes to be true, then the clock will be ticking for me! The money can be really good when we are busy, and it can also be pretty bad when its slow/recession/raining/freezing. I think that at a minimum I am a year away from actually quitting to pursue any kind of start up, because I want to have a real plan and some things taken care of first so I can have some cash on hand. I have many questions and I will try not to ask them all at once!

Tell me if I'm delusional...but here is what I'm looking for..I would ideally like to work 3-4 days/week up to 40 weeks/year, preferably home at night but absolutely open to being on the road away from home 3-4 days at a time. I would *like* to net around $800+ a week. Is that possible running only a few days a week? I have mocked up some expenses to help me arrive at a number...please feel free to correct me where I'm missing something. Looking at running a 1 ton truck and a gooseneck flatbed of undetermined length and I want to also get a 20' car hauler flatbed (for personal use as well)

Weekly Gross: $2000 Even possible in 3-4 days?

Weekly Expenses:
    Income Taxes $400 Not excited about this one!
    Fuel $300 Estimation only, less on day trips close to home would be better.
    Lodging $125 Hoping to be home to sleep, but added it anyway for a couple nights/week
    Truck Payment $150
    Insurance $150 Estimating, based on what I've read.
    Truck costs $100 Set aside for oil, tires, filters, repairs, etc.
    Roth IRA $100 This one is a must, leaving my companies 401K program.

These calculations would NET me $675/ week. So how far out of reality am I or am I pretty close? Any advice, comments, suggestions are greatly appreciated in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NorthTexan17

NorthTexan17 Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2015
    Nobody? No Comments or input?

4. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    I have no clue, but alot of times when you are figuring the cost of a project, is double the amount you think it will be and then you are close. I may be wrong.

5. FarmerTransportation

FarmerTransportation Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hmm.

Let me tell you this way. I average around $.65 to $.70 per mile all-up cost driving an F450 with trailer at an average of 13mpg. This cost includes fuel, insurance, maintenance allowance, tolls allowance and all the costs you'd associate with driving. It does not include money for me to eat, sleep and live.

If I want to clear $800 for me, I have to drive around 2600 miles at $1 per mile or 1300 miles at $2 per mile, and so on.

You need to look at what kind of rates you can get in your area, estimate the number of miles you'd have to drive to make your money and see whether there's enough business available to do that every week.

For the last 5 or 6 months, the brokers have been trying to shove it up our rears with load rates at $1 per mile and less. It's become a chore to find good brokers who will pay enough - to the point where I've started working direct with shippers to get enough revenue.

If this goes on long enough, the brokers will find that they can't get trucks to carry for them, and their shippers have all gone direct with the truckers.

6. Midwest1

Midwest1 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    All good points! I would recommend to prospective people looking to enter this business to also add the cost of motels and desired driver salary to your cost of operation. This gives you a more true cost of what it costs you per mile to operate.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.