Newbie Tips.

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Fajo, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Ok, So alot of us are asking questions. Hijacking other peoples threads so Ill start this one..

List any tips you have for newbies or anything that helped you when you were starting out. New to O/O or just curious on Schneiders offerings..

Example

MPG
    Fuel management
    Cruising Speed
    RPM Management (Alot of these engines now adays are lower RPM's Gone are the days of reving to 2500 RPMS or higher before shifting.

Ill start

Cruising speed. I get asked this one alot by other drivers and not just by O/O's with my company I have had Swift, England and Prime drivers all ask..

(Question)
    So speed do you drive at ?

(Answer)
    TBH everyone's truck is different, everyone's driving habits are different. Me Personally drive at 65mph ill kick it up to 67 from time to time if I get in a cluster of trucks but other then that its 65. I have been told that if I driver slower I get better MPG. Tho I have not seen this on the flats in cali at 55mph my truck gets a whopping 5.2-5.4 MPG :biggrin_2551:.. At 65 I get in the low to mid 6's (Keep in mind i'm hauling close to gross all the time. I also run west so im in the mountains all the time.

So Add in your tips..

Night Prowler Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Temple, Texas
    ill be reading this thread anytime someone adds to it. great idea ! Thanks

4. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Ahh come on guys, I'm not the only on here thats been doing this a while.. Thow out some tips.

P.S.

Saying, Stay away from the lot lizards does not count as a tip... tho it can extend your life.

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  5. Drifter42

Drifter42 Hopper Heartache

Dec 4, 2011
    Seymour IN
    I don't know, that's a pretty good tip right there lol. I try to run about 65 although I do kick it up a notch from time to time. Avg. 7.2 hauling a 46k load[yeah I picked that dam thing] from OKC to Flagstaff and was running mostly 72 going out. Got it back up to 8.1 coming from LA to NY, but the load was only 12K and yeah I did run some 75 across 40, but did drop to 65/67 coming across OH and PA. I do look a lot at fuel prices, but don't run myself too low trying to get to them, but will put on 50 gal or so to get me to the cheaper fuel instead of filling up wherever. I need to get better at shifting at the proper rpm's instead of the usual 1300 and 1600. These newer trucks can be upshifted at about 1400 in high and will do ok lugging down to 1100, but man I can't get used to that yet. Didn't add too much, but personal experience. There is improvements I can make for sure.

Fajo Thanks this.
  6. sadwar

sadwar Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Lockport, IL
    Trip plan, trip plan, trip plan.....

7. Dogals right foot

Dogals right foot Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2013
    The Dreaded Northeast
    That's the biggest tip there is.
    That and manage your money..don't buy it because you can.
    Run areas that are profitable..sure you may not like them but follow the money.
    Follow freight trends..read online about where and what to run.
    Maintenance on the truck..sure it may be a new one but it still needs to be looked at.
    Pretrip is very important..don't let something small become a problem and shut you down.
    TIRES..check air pressure often.

You are a small business owner..learn as much as you can about it.

rickybobby and Night Prowler Thank this.
  8. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    Where does one do that, exactly? Thank you!

9. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Temple, Texas
    Great question ! what web sites are good for trucking info ?

10. Dogals right foot

Dogals right foot Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2013
    The Dreaded Northeast
    DAT.com
    Generic but still good info.
    Plus I run a chart of every load I've pulled since starting.
    I run certain ''Triangles"..start and end points that pay well.

Alaska76 Thanks this.
  11. 27butterfly

27butterfly Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Pittsburg, Texas
    You can go down a mountain too slow 1,000 times but only once too fast. And, slow down around curbs, I see way too many people in general taking curbs too fast. I have just started out going down this road a year ago, but I read, watch, or take any extra info from others anytime I can. You can never learn too much, the day you think you know it all is the day you should not drive. And, do remember this is your CDL so you are responsible for knowing the laws.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.