Non-CDL over 10klbs DOT Regulations Questions

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by underandover, Sep 21, 2015.

1. underandover

underandover Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Our company drives Ford F450 box trucks through every state.We always use two drivers and we stay in hotels every night. We only require a DOT PHYSICAL to be qualified to drive the trucks. We keep logs and go through weigh stations.

My problem is that I cannot find NON-CDL DOT regulations that state what we can and cannot do. So my questions are as follows

1) What would happen if I didn't keep receipts for gas/food/hotels and if a DOT audit were to happen, would not having those receipts and the auditor, only had access to a credit card statement would there be a fine/problem if that's all they had access to?

2) if we are approaching our 70 hour limit and we are a couple of hours from our office, do we have to shut down for the 34 hours or is there something that would allow us the extra to get back to our office?

3) If we are off duty for the day at the hotel and the guys wanted to go get something to eat could they drive the truck to a local restaurant and still remain off duty due to them being released of all work duties? same question applies for when the guys are on their 34 hour reset break. Being that we do not drive a big rig we can get away with going to a local restaurant and this question is constantly asked.

4) if we have drivers that somehow never got drug screened for pre-employment and have been here for years is there anything that we can do to make sure they have some form of drug test for the driver DQ file? we Do not require a random drug screening due to not having CDL's.

5) There is an 11 hour driving and 14 hour on duty limit for us. With us always having two drivers we can drive a total of 14 hours for the day? Or is it 11 hours driving no matter how many drivers are in the vehicle?

Its frustrating trying to find regulations that are geared towards NON-CDL driver regulations.. Any Advice is welcome.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hudson_MacBeth

Hudson_MacBeth Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2015
    Don't know on this one, sorry.

You could run recap hours to get home

Would depend on your company policy for "personal conveyance"

Not sure on this one wither, sorry.

EACH driver gets their own 11/14 hour clocks, using separate logs. If the other driver is OFF duty the whole time the first driver is working, then driver 2's clock wouldn't start until he/she came ON duty.

4. underandover

Sep 21, 2015
    as of now we dont have one. and as long as they stay in the town/city or company would not have a problem with them using the truck. we just wanted to know what the limits were with mileage and time driving while off duty and what needed to be documented with driving while off duty.

5. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Hotel receipts: not necessary. You can sleep in the back of the truck, in a hammock under the truck, or on a cot on top of the truck. Or not sleep at all, and spend time recreating with a local honey. You are required to be 10 hours off duty, or sleeper berth, or a combination thereof. You just can't log sleeper berth if you don't have a sleeper. Inspectors can get a litty pissy about this, but so be it.

Pre employment drug screen. To the best of my knowledge, if your drivers are not CDL, and NOT required to be under random drug testing, no pre-employment drug test is required. I did verify this with a state trooper / inspector a couple of years ago.

Personal conveyance: employees are allowed to use a commercial vehicle for personal conveyance. Generally it is best to insist they don't travel more than about 25 miles, and that they return to the same place that they started using the truck (they aren't supposed to "re-position" the truck.) They can go shopping, recreate, visit restaurants, race at the local track, etc.

70 hour limit: there's no "almost there" exception in the hours of service. Shut down for a 10 hr break and finish the trip on recap hours, or take the 34 hr reset. Or, have someone go out and get them.

11/14 for both drivers: both drivers have their 11/ 14 log restrictions. If this is a single cab truck (no back seat) the non-driving employee must log "on duty" while in the passenger seat. Neither can drive after 14 hrs of total on duty time.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I've heard it called a lot of things but this is a first. Using it next time I'm at a bar during last call :)

truckon Thanks this.
  7. underandover

Sep 21, 2015
    Thank you guys for the replies!

8. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    I've always found it best to contact the source directly, as opposed to relying on possible erroneous information and getting jammed up later......My advice would be to contact the USDOT L.E. unit and ask them the same ? that you posted here...Get it straight, get it right, get the officer's name and write it all down.....Should there be a ? that you think may be answered wrong, ask for the exact section of law, politely of course....FWIW, years ago, we never had any issues with small straight trucks, they were largely just ignored, no more, it's too bad.....

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    No kidding. I'm supposed to roll through the scales in my mechanic truck since I'm over 4,500 kg.

10. underandover

Sep 21, 2015
    Thanks again!

But yes When i was on the road for 6 years in a box truck over 10Klbs I got randomly inspected roughly once every two weeks which i thought was a lot. and our company did not have a bad rating. out of about 20 surprise inspections i only received 1 warning about a missing off duty log sheet for a previous day. not to bad if you ask me.

Always hated the weigh stations between Louisville,KY and Lexington,KY and the Ohio/Indiana weigh stations around Cincinnati

11. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Try having the word "farm" in your DOT name. We couldn't get through a scale unless it was closed. Actually changed our DOT name in frustration, and presto! We can actually keep rolling almost all of the time.

underandover Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.