O/O Insurance

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Thermos, May 28, 2015.

1. Thermos

Thermos Bobtail Member

May 28, 2015
    So here's one I haven't seen-
    I've got my Class 1 licence and as many of you know it's hard to get a job. Quite a few good used semis are available at a really decent price. So I thought I'd just go buy one. I know it's hard to find hauls even if you own a truck but I can afford a used one without any trouble at all. If it sits there a lot of the time so be it. But here's the kicker - I'm told that I can't get insurance for the thing unless I've been driving it (or something like it) for at least 2 years. What?!? Is this for real? What difference does it make if I own the rig or someone else does? I'm driving on the road either way. Someone please tell me this is BS and there's a different insurance company out there with a sensible policy.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Sounds like that's a rule at your current insurance company. Talk to a commercial insurance broker. Where are you located?

4. Thermos

Thermos Bobtail Member

May 28, 2015
    Maritimes.
    And I've been trying through Palmer Atlantic Insurance, which is quite huge and insures all the really big fleets out this way.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Larger does not mean better. Anything can be insured for the right price, you just have to find the person to do it. When I bought my truck in the U.S. I called about eight companies/brokers before I found one that could get me temporary insurance for the trip home (non-commercial trip). Everyone else told me it wasn't possible.

6. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Have you ever owned a Class 8 truck? What makes you think there are a lot of good used trucks on the market? Lots of junk!! You get what you pay for. What is your budget? What about all your permits, etc. You do not just get insurance and hit the road. You will be broke before you start. Get a job first and after some time you could consider owning your own truck.

7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Let me guess you found a whole lot of 2008-2010 international trucks with maybe 200,000 km on them for $30,000 ....

8. Thermos

Thermos Bobtail Member

May 28, 2015
    Is at all possible to stay on topic?
    The topic is: getting insurance as an Owner/Operator with less than 2 years driving experience.

9. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Thermos: With that attitude you won't go far at any job! Grow up! You are beyond naïve. You say less than 2 years. Do you have 6 months? Have you driven 50,000 miles? Are you planning on your own authority. Insurance is the least of your problems

10. flyguy35

flyguy35 Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Not sure where you live Thermos but there are a lot of driving jobs out there if you spend the time to look. I would encourage you to listen to the voices of experience on here. Even from my own research, a driver should not consider getting their own truck until they have 2-5 years of experience under their belt. When looking for jobs, you will see some will state 2 years of experience, the reason being that is a part of the company insurance policy. The companies that hire with less than 1 year experience sometimes self insure.

I have not started my CDL course yet and I have 4 conditional offers of employments based on me getting my CDL, passing the company driving test and drug test for 2 of them.

11. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    Sure - try Marsh insurance. They have an office on Hollis St in downtown Halifax. Head office in Toronto. I have individual tractor AND fleet thru them. ' Luck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.