One more noob for the road! The story begins...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by BuckeyeKev, Aug 26, 2015.

1. BuckeyeKev

BuckeyeKev Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Cincinnati, O-H-I-O
    Hi.

I've checked out a few of the rookie stories on this forum and have to say they all sound familiar to me. Here's my story: I've worked in transportation for most of my adult life, starting out being a warehouse order picker / truck loader for a now defunct grocery chain in Cincinnati, then unloading pups at UPS in Columbus as well as FedEx. I've been a dock supervisor for two of YRC's brands, and most recently an "operations supervisor" (read: dispatcher) for a bulk-chemical carrier. Now after finding myself available to the economy last July I tried my hand at being self-employed doing the online retail thing. Unfortunately, just like poker a few years ago - EVERYBODY found it and the competition rolled me over.

The recovery from the Great Recession seems limited to select industries in Southwest Ohio, and I'm not inclined to go back into transportation management. So now at 44 years of age, it's time to see how "the other half," lives. Information is power and I think it is the responsible thing to try and give back with my experience so that others might learn from my pitfalls - or in the current spirit of American culture (It's all about ME!) maybe I'll get some advice and insight from others that will keep me on the right path.

After a misfire with a community college program here in Cincinnati earlier this month, I'm approved with MTC in Missouri and have what I believe to be a solid commitment from Hogan for employment on a dedicated lane after class. The first day of class is 9/8.

Yeah, I know I'm signing my soul away for 14 months and that I this is a meat-grinder of an industry but, what isn't? Everybody has to pay their dues and I'm hoping this is my ticket back to some economic stability, viability, and self-respect. Stay tuned.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Have you considered tankers vs. Hogan? You were a dispatcher for a tanker outfit so you know how they operate. Get the tanker/hazmat endorsements anyway in case you change your mind later in your new career. Best wishes and good luck.

BuckeyeKev Thanks this.
  4. BuckeyeKev

Aug 26, 2015
    Cincinnati, O-H-I-O
    Thanks for the advice and the best wishes! I have thought about that, along with getting the doubles endorsement, anything to increase my marketability once my contract is up. There are quite a few carriers in my own neighborhood that are looking for dry bulk and tanker truckers with 12 months experience. Cincinnati is a great market, once I lose my rookie status.

Nitemare13 and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. BuckeyeKev

Aug 26, 2015
    Cincinnati, O-H-I-O
    Update: Thanks to the practice tests on this site, I passed (with some pucker and some squeaking) my Ohio CDL instructional permit tests for general knowledge, air brakes, doubles, tankers, and hazmat!

Step #4 is heading to MTC in Hazelwood, MO next weekend.

Steps #1-3?

1. Deciding that getting my CDL is the right thing to do for my career and my family.
    2. Getting my family on board. It wasn't hard, especially when the 6 year old asked if I could take him to school in the tractor.
    3. Finding the right corporate sponsor and school. (Failed attempts with both Schneider and Millis).

The sense of accomplishment is amazing.

6. BuckeyeKev

Aug 26, 2015
    Cincinnati, O-H-I-O
    T minus one and one half days and counting. Departure to St. Louis is 0730 Sunday morning from Cincinnati via Greyhound. 11 hours and two transfers later, I should be in the Gateway City walking towards the Civic Center Metrolink station to catch the Redline out to the airport and from there the shuttle bus to my hotel.

Today was my last day as a professional "lawncare provider" (read: "mower jockey")! I put my craigslist special 6.25HP 22" self propelled mower back in the shed with a sense of satisfaction. It and its Craftsman predecessor, as well as the generic 5HP pusher before it have served me and my family well this summer. "By any means necessary," became not only our rally cry but our way to make it through some very unexpected financial hard times. Will I miss it? Probably some, there is a satisfaction to seeing fresh cut grass and the patterns left by the back and forth motion. However, I am thankful for the opportunity to put the mower away and get back to what I hope to be a more stable income.

Also got the "manager confirmation," from MTC in St. Louis. Labor Day will be a brief orientation followed by 16-21 days of class. I'm pushing for 18. I will want a divorce from my roomie and to come home to the familiar sights and sounds of the Buckeye state.

Stay tuned.

7. BuckeyeKev

Aug 26, 2015
    Cincinnati, O-H-I-O
    So here it is, 17 days in and I have just passed my Missouri CDL pre-test. I'm not sure what the maximum possible score was - so I will take my 43 and the examiner saying "great job" and be on my way. Looks like the next chance to test will be on Tuesday - so the next three days will be more and more preparation for the yard moves and maybe a bit more road time.

I so want to go home and see the sights and sounds of Cincinnati.

8. Kev's Sunshine

Kev's Sunshine Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    OH - IO!
    You have not updated!

BuckeyeKev Thanks this.
  9. BuckeyeKev

Aug 26, 2015
    Cincinnati, O-H-I-O
    You are correct, I have not updated.

After dropping the ball on the following Tuesday in the driver side parallel, I practiced and reviewed. On 10/2, we took four guys to the location and the first two failed on their road tests, one because of an accident and the second because he stalled out turning into the exam station. The third, my roomie, passed his with no points left to give. I had the last at bat and butterflies the size of 737's. First up, the yard test which I passed the with a -4 and a lot of thanks to the examiner. The road test was up next, and with this Ohio boy not fully familiar with the "Yield on a red light right" and those concrete islands; I sat at a light for the longest time with a few honks from unhappy four wheelers. I told the examiner that I was from Ohio and wasn't 100% comfortable with the law and the physical situation, so sitting tight was the best choice in my opinion. I was definitely afraid she would mark a fail based on impeding traffic. The next "Oh no!" opportunity came with turning around that corner - I mounted the curb; but did so with some apparent grace because she continued the test. Whew!

All in all, I took 20 points and passed with an 80! The examiner gave me my first first bump of congratulations and I got back to the school having texted my GF and my oldest daughter that I passed and for my girlfriend to "Come Get Me." I did some required paperwork at the school and walked back to the hotel - my commitment was up and I wasn't waiting for the shuttle van, I had somebody coming to get me!!

Now, with orientation complete I start next Tuesday (10/20) with my carrier and the adventure continues!

Kev's Sunshine Thanks this.
  10. BuckeyeKev

Aug 26, 2015
    Cincinnati, O-H-I-O
    Orientation was three days in a decent hotel on the western side of Columbus. It was great to be back in C-bus. Nothing amazing about the orientation, pretty standard. I got to meet my future fleet manager and get her philosophy on dispatch and she asked my expectations. Luckily, I was only a couple hours from home because it took Hogan a week and a half to get me a trainer, a worrisome hiccup but the situation was resolved. I was expecting to be in a regional OTR truck for four weeks, or running out of St. Louis. I was actually assigned to train with a driver out of the Central Ohio region on runs up to Chicagoland so, when not spending a 10 hour break in the truck I have been given a decent hotel room and able to go back home to Cincinnati on a couple of resets. That has eased the transition for both me and my family. A couple of my classmates for Werner were assigned to train on the Dollar General account for SIX weeks and haven't seen the outside of the truck or a hotel room in all that time. Now, due to some delays related to the availability of loads, the fourth and final week of training has started. I've learned how to deal with some heavy wind, rain, traffic, and all those things that make driving fun for both four wheelers and the big trucks. I've done some blindside backing, practiced the Smith System, and found that I can handle sleeping in the tractor. My trainer has been quite supportive, educational, and down-to-earth about things.

This has been the right decision for me in terms of settling down into what I hope is my last career. I also believe that it will be the right choice for my family in terms of financial security. Boy, I can't wait to meet MY truck next week.

I do have so much to be thankful for!

truckon and Kev's Sunshine Thank this.
  11. Kev's Sunshine

Kev's Sunshine Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    OH - IO!
    I can't wait to be naughty in your truck. Oops did I say that out loud?

jammer910Z, BuckeyeKev and truckon Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.