OOIDA has filed a lawsuit to counter ELD

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by ExOTR, Mar 31, 2016.

1. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    The big problem with elogs is most drivers cannot drive 600 miles in a 14 hour window, they have to stop everywhere and eat and nap.
    It'll separate the men from the boys real quick

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. walstib

walstib Darkstar

4. walstib

walstib Darkstar

5. JAYRODPA

JAYRODPA Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2009
    Dingmans Ferry pa
    What does that have to do with not wonting e-log. Not wanting e-log is about loosing more of your freedom out there. Loosing your freedom of choice. but most of you e-log users don't no what real freedom on the road is.

Big_D409, gokiddogo and walstib Thank this.
  6. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Yes, I hate freedom. It is true,
    I hate trying to walk a straight line through a truckstop and have Billy Been Up 20 Hours stop in the aisle and stare at junk on a shelf, bath himself in a bathroom sink and stare forever at a McDonalds menu he's seen 400 thousand times.
    I value my 10 hour break, I need 7 hours of sleep a night, I do not nap unless I'm on hometime and stay up drinking all night and sleep for 3 hours, lol. wmt

7. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Really? I have been doing this since 1982 with over 5 million miles. Been on E-logs for the last 4 years by choice. I don't feel any loss of freedom. Nothing much has changed. But then, I never got into the playing fast and loose with paper logs, so there really wasn't much of a change by having a machine do it for me. What "loss of freedom" are you referring to? Can't be that someone is watching, since no one is. Unless something triggers an alert that you have screwed up, no one is paying any attention. And then in that situation, it is only recorded. Unless one is checked at a DOT log check or audit, FMCSA has no clue you screwed up. E-log data is not direct fed to FMCSA, it is just stored on a server just like log pages are stored in a file. On the road, you still only produce the last 8 days logs. I still have the freedom to go home every week and holiday, take a staggered 4 weeks off a year, and my net last year was over $65K. And it would have been much more had I not did a 179 full expensing of a new $18K John Deere 825i Gator that I use for snow removal and maintain gravel drive/parking area at home for the truck (among other uses, but you keep your mouth shut! LOL). My accountant is pleading with me to get out of sole proprietorship and set up an S corp, which I probably will.

And would you please elaborate on the Constitutional right to freedom of choice. I missed that one in the Bill of Rights. Freedom, by it's very nature, implies responsibility.

Now, I agree the HOS has messed with things more than any perceived problem with E-logs. Put the blame where it needs to be. The HOS is the main problem, not how hours are recorded.

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  8. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Now that's a deduction, a "tractor" to maintain the driveway for the truck, , seems legit?? And if the gravel is deductible, I may have to amend my taxes.

9. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Oh, yeah, it is a legit deduction, and yes, additional gravel also! If the area is a regular parking area for the truck, then it is a business expense to maintain it. Anything used for the business is deductible somewhere. The wife is going to Des Moines today, about 45 miles from the house, to meet one of her friends for lunch. I told her to pickup a new cab filter at Freightliner while up there. Now the entire trip miles are deductible. 54 cents a mile in 2016. As many trips to town or anywhere, I find a way to buy a part, filter, or something to make the trip miles deductible for my pickup. Took a trip to Memphis last year, wife wanted to see Elvis home, and we decided to take a tour of my oil supplier, Schaeffer Oil, headquarters is St. Louis. Most of the trip, was able to deduct due to the business nature of going to Schaeffer and doing tour. Miles, lodging, etc. Had it set up my by oil rep and scheduled.

10. JAYRODPA

JAYRODPA Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2009
    Dingmans Ferry pa
    Freedom of choice. Having the right to do what you want, when you wont and how you wont. Without a little box telling you what to do, when to do and how to do. I have been a owner op. since 85. I will not allow government or anyone else tell me how I should operate my business. All this tech has made the drivers lazy. everything at there fingertips. That way the industry is like it is today. and government keeps pushing more. They don't wont drivers to talk. they want then to sit in there trucks playing with all there toys. how do you think OOIDA got formed. when government tried to screw with the industry and the driver fought back. I guess you like CSA, sped limiters, in cab camera's, hair follicle testing, DEF and the list goes on. You sure have a lot of freedom. wake up and look at the big picture. And so what. you made 65,000. I made 180,000. does that mean I shouldn't care about what is going on in the industry and only think about myself. That I should just go with the flow and allow all this crap dictate my life. that I should just sit back and watch the new drivers turn into a bunch of inconsiderate, disrespectful AHOLES. no it doesn't. that's way I parked my truck and became a cdl teacher. trying to send some drivers out onto the road and act like truck drivers. not these Billy big rig, steering wheel holders.

Peter Griffin Thanks this.
  11. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.