Opinion on real leasing from dealer ( not lease purchase with a carrier)

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Sktrucker89, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Sktrucker89

Sktrucker89 Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2016
    I would like to know if anyone had any experience or heard any negative aspects of going on a lease to own through dealer with freedom of working with whoever you want as compared to financing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated . Thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I don't know the cost aspect of it but,I think itd be a good thing. Financially speaking, its basically a rent to own with a buyout of a few dollars at the end. When you "lease" you can deduct the whole payment on your taxes vs. when you finance.

TheFriscoKid and Sktrucker89 Thank this.
  4. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    If you're going to lease a truck, i would always suggest you do it outside the company you're working for. If something changes or you need/want to leave, you take the truck with you. If I ever get pissed off and say f u, I can start working the next day and I still have my own truck.

TheFriscoKid and akfisher Thank this.
  5. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Leasing from a dealer, so long as it is a real dealer and not someone like Lone Mountain or ATS (buy here pay here) is just as good as regular financing. You can deduct the lease payment but the leasing company gets to deduct the depreciation, plus depending on if it is a full service lease or not they may get the repairs to deduct as well.

I have bought equipment with both conventional bank financing as well as dollar buyout leases, no real difference except the leases are easier to qualify for if you have less than perfect credit or are close on your debt to income ratios, plus they are usually "off the balance sheet", so if you wanted to overextend yourself the other loan companies would not know you also have a bunch of leased equipment unless you told them about it. Not that I recommend it but some fella I know have do just that to rapidly grow their operation, some won others lost big time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.