Opinion on Uniden Portable CB Radio

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Ryan S2016, May 19, 2016.

1. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I was at a Loves in Knoxville TN last week and was looking at the CB radio booth they have and saw a pretty nice looking Uniden Portable CB it looks like a walkie talkie actually. I have been considering a CB for a while and would really like a nice Cobra or similar full size CB but I really don't have a lot of room in my truck to put it, and they can be pretty pricey with getting an external speaker and antennas and so on, has anyone ever used one of these portable CB radios before. It is a relatively cheaper way to go, but I do not want something that wont pick up good reception or cause a lot of feedback when I talk into it.

Thanks Guys/Gals

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    If it can be connected to an effective external antenna, it could work as good as any other 4-watt factory radio. If it only has a stubby antenna on the radio itself, it won't work beyond a very short distance from the cab of a vehicle.

4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    TA/Petro has a small Uniden radio with an external speaker and wireless mic for $100. I'd check it out.

5. Radio Dr.

Radio Dr. Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Virginia
    Portable CB radios work well if you have a good external antenna to use. Those antennas with most portables will only receive and transmit at close range.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  6. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    You could connect it via one of these adapters[​IMG]

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  7. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Well on my last trip up north I stopped at the Loves In Tom's Brook VA and pulled the trigger and bought it. Plugged it in and it worked like absolute garbage. Then after 10 minutes I couldn't even get the squelch to stop. So I stopped in the Loves on 81 somewhere in VA to return it but their policy is exchange only. So I opted for the Uniden Bearcat mobile CB that mounts in the truck. It was actually on sale so I got money back. Now I just gotta buy a antenna mount and antenna. I'm thinking of going with Firestick because the antenna mount is a Fire Stick. Heard pretty good reviews on their products.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.