ORDERING A COTTRELL STINGER

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by justcarhaulin, Nov 10, 2015.

1. justcarhaulin

justcarhaulin Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Am in the process of ordering a new 9 car stinger. I have narrowed it down to a peterbult headrack with an ez loader trailer. I cant decide between a 7509 ez chain trailer or a cx-09 soft tie trailer. I have a 5307 cottrell so stepping up a 7509 would be much easier. I will be hauling new vehicles out of MI and OH. What would be the best set up to use to haul these units from the factory to dealerships. I will be the driver and this will be my first stinger. Am leaning towards the 7509 ez. Thanks for any advice and stay safe out there.....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jerseymc

jerseymc Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2015
    I don't know why anyone would still order new chain trailer. If I were you, there's no debating on which trailer to buy.

1. The whole industry shifted to strap ties and will continue to do so. Not that many new car manufacturer left that is still ok with chain ties downs. On some vehicles, they got rid of tie down points on the chassis, so only soft tie is possible unless you want to be a super car hauler like some of them guys at the auction and just stick the S hook into any hole you see that fits.

2. Soft tie trailer will hold better resale value when it's time to sell because chain trailer are just outdated equipment and have less demand here on forward.

3. Soft tie trailer are less strain on your body because it takes less effort to tie down than chains.

4. Soft tie trailer are safer as you are only 4 feet off the ground vs 9 feet off the ground. That 5 extra feet could mean life and death if god forbid that you should fall off the truck

5. Last I heard, you can add chain tie package to any soft tie trailers as an option if you must have chains on the trailer

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  4. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
  5. OWT

OWT Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Pretty sure he means CX 09 quick loader. And that is what I would go for all the reasons above. I am sure you can do more with CX09 than with 7509 in terms of mixed loads. You could just add chains to the positions where you see that you would benefit from them. I am running all strap now, but occasionally still use chains on some positions with mixed loads with clearance problems.

6. PO Stoner

PO Stoner Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Yup to the above...I want a CX-09 badly. I too have a 5307 now. New cars require straps and my upper body is spent from pulling chains. Get the CX-09.

7. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    We have both, the CX-09's are repacing the 7509's for all the reasons jerseymc mentioned. I would spring for the lift deck on the headrack. Being able to lift that lower car on the headrack helps get the cars on the lower deck of the trailer up farther to limit overhang.

8. sxdime

sxdime Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Elkton MD
    Just get a smaller bunk and then you don't need the lift deck. Less weight and less moving parts = less headaches!
    The best set up (IMO) is to not even have a slider behind the sleeper. If you have ever had one freeze up you know where I am coming from. Jump skids don't ever freeze which means you aren't spending time heating up metal to make the ice turn back into a liquid again so you can get the slider to move.

9. Ziggy319

Ziggy319 Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Syracuse,ny
    Sxdime we have had the freeze issue and we use fluid film. No problem ever since. Great stuff treat every 90 days. Just spray it on.

10. jerseymc

jerseymc Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2015
    @Ziggy319 , I never heard of fluid film and had to google it. Do you or can you use that instead of the slip plate for the deck posts? If so, is it better?

11. Ziggy319

Ziggy319 Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Syracuse,ny
    No it never drys so I wouldn't. It would make a mess. But for sliders it's great.
    There web site is. http://www.fluid-film.com I buy it on eBay. Cheapest. $12.99 a can at lowes

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.