Ordering food at a truckstop tip.

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by thedragon, Feb 23, 2007.

1. thedragon

thedragon Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Wadena, Mn
    As most know I was a Chef for 14 years before I turned in the spatula for a set of truck keys. I've had my share of compliments and complaints, especialy when it came to cooking steak....So here's a dictonary on steak doneness......

RARE: Cool Pink Center, just cooked long enough to heat the outside, may still bleed
    MEDIUM RARE: Warm Pink Center, may still bleed
    MEDIUM: Hot pink Center
    MEDIUM WELL:Very little pink in center, the hardest to cook(even for a seasoned chef)
    WELL:no pink center

Not to many people know that, and a few get confused when they order thier steak and get upset when it aint cooked right. So hope that helps.

In many restaurants they won't cook ground beef (hamburgers, choped steak, etc) less then medium well to well done. This is for your own health!! In those that do, you may be asked to sign the ticket, that way, if you get sick from raw hamburger, you can't sue them. So if they say no can do, don't argue. We care about your health!!!!!

Also know the diffrence between a server error and kitchen error. In many restaurants, still, the server hand writes the order and gives it to the cook, and I've had a few that looked like one thing and it was something totaly diffrent.

And last but not least, NEVER run into the kitchen storming mad and cussing. I had a customer do that once while I was slicing ribs. I thought we were getting robbbed, so I snuck up around the corner with a 5 pound cleaver (it was from my personal collection, and I kept them litteraly razor sharp, and still do) and grabed him from behind, and held the clever against him. Till the cops showed up. I found out that his order was cooked wrong. The waitress mixed up his steak dinner with another tables steak dinner.

So if unsure about how something is cooked, ask. it will save a lot of headaches.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

WHOA DUDE! You've got to be joking! All that over an incorrect steak? Wow , I have been pissed about my steak a few times, but GEEZ!
    Thanks for the tip Dragon, I personally do not like my steak more than rare, and have even had it 'blue' a few times (its funny how many times you have to explain to people what blue is) , I don't know how you could eat a nice steak medium well to well.
    Its funny, your post reminded me of a burger I had at the T/A (formerly Rip Griffin, Laramie or Cheyenne WY, can't remember which). I was eating with a fellow Covenant driver (from Texas), and we both asked for our burgers nice and rare (you know, knock off the horns, wipe its behind and nose,and serve it). Well the cook (or chef) was walking past, and when he heard, he kind of smiled and said "that's my kind of burger". needless to say, it was rare and delicious!

4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled

Now about that little misunderstanding in the kitchen, I always say the world is full of crazy people and they aren't all locked up.

AJ

5. thedragon

Mar 18, 2006
    Wadena, Mn
    Ya all that over a little steak. I did give the guy a refund and a free meal on his next visit. And chewed out my server. Cause in most places when the boss is gone the cook is in charge.

6. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    As long as my steak is well done Iam good!

Love meat....just want it done.:smt109

7. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

Well done, come on, it's got to be a little pink, esp if it's a nice, juicy steak!

8. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Waitress: How would you like it, honey?

Me: Bring in the cow. I'll beat it unconcious and tear off the part I want. :pirate:

Stormy 69 Thanks this.
  9. MNHillyBilly

MNHillyBilly Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Hey Dragon, have you ever read Kitchen Confidential by Bourdain? Or The Nasty Bits.....

Both will have you in tears if you put that much time in a kitchen.

Cybergal might want to read it too befroe whe orders another well done steak.... :evil4:

10. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Neither, try Rawlins WY for the former Rip Griffins.

I like my steak medium and my burgers medium well. The steak has to be hot, I can't eat "cold" steak. And I don't want blood running out of my burger.

11. thedragon

Mar 18, 2006
    Wadena, Mn
    Actualy I havent. Going to have to run down to the library and see if they have it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.