Ordering permits. Thoughts...

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by snowman_w900, Oct 12, 2016.

1. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    So im gonna ask this because i ran into a couple of situations that aggravated me. I feel like the guys on here will either comfirm my thoughs or ill learn a lesson and change my ways. Lol. I respect the opinions of you guys, so....here i go.

Do you always have your permits ordered before you go to a shipper or do you wait till you get there, measure, wait on permits and go?

Also, even if it is something you know the weight and dimensions on do you order ahead of time or not?

Do you change that policy EVEN if its a broker load and they already quote you their dimensions, do you pre order or wait till you see what it really is incase they lie or have misinformation?

4mer trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Most loads I order the starting state permit. If dimensions are wrong I ask broker to pay for extra permit.
    If it is a repeat load I'll have all permits the day before.
    Most states will give you a permit in a couple hours max. Most you can register online and get yourself immediately.
    Just a couple take until next day.
    Good luck.

blairandgretchen and snowman_w900 Thank this.
  4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    The last broker that guarantee the measurements and told me I could order permits.
    He was off on height by 2 inches. I did order all the permits and he paid extra for the revised permits.

snowman_w900 Thanks this.
  5. snowman_w900

Nov 25, 2010
    Thanks. I just wanted to make sure im not outta line here. I been hauling oversize for several years, theres always something new to learn but im not green to it either. With that being said, Thing is, recently im dealing with a new dispatcher. The last 4 broker loads i have hauled the same thing has happened. Wants me to wait until i GET to the site to load, then start ordering permits. Thats fine if you dont trust a brokers info, i get that. Better to have eyes on it. Good, fine. I get it.

But, heres what i dont like. I tell dispatch, well can we atleast get started on permits day before so im not burning up my daylight and taking 1 or 2 days extra to do a load? Says, "Well.....we dont wanna start throwing money at permits until we know what it is". I understand that, BUT, dont you have a rate confirm that shows it. If i get there, and its wrong, then the rate confirm is no good, right?

The broker then SHOULD say oops, your right. Oh, its not 11-6 wide, its 12-3....ok, well lets get some new numbers and reconfig. Permit cost i would expect to be on the broker. I do understand mistakes happen, but not on all of them. Thats been my experienced in the past when i delt with brokers. If its not right, confirmation is null and void. Start over or come an agreement.

For some reason, my theroy isnt being well received, maybe im outta line here.

Lol, its like they are afraid to piss a broker off. Im not saying i WANT to piss a broker off....just want the info and permits to be legit.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Ruthless Thanks this.
  6. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Why not call the shipper. Most will gladly get a tape measure on the load. You can tell during a conversation if the person on the other end is just reading a report or has measured the item.
    I'll ask for pictures.
    My last load . 36x11'10"x9'6"
    The width had to remove a drain plug on driver side added 2 inches and a little bracket on ditch side added 1.5 inches.
    Load was 11'5" Total Height from ground 14'8" had to remove fan assembly from top. (Unable to see from ground measuring)
    Rigging crew did the work.
    I assume fairly accurate dimensions from broker and shipper.
    Problem was neither were at or had been to the jobsite.

blairandgretchen and snowman_w900 Thank this.
  7. snowman_w900

Nov 25, 2010
    I agree. Call the shipper. I do that on an occasion as far as getting dimensions, but from now on, im callin every broker load i get. Which i hope isnt many.

You know how some of these brokers get though. Some dont want you calling their customer. Some are great though, easy to deal with, then others act like you are planning on stealing something from them. I appreciate your comments.

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
  9. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Guess there's more to it than just a black and white yes or no- personally I like to see it and measure it myself. If it's a regular move, or from a shipper that I've dealt with that I know is on point down to the inch on all dims I'll book permits based on that.

Anybody else it's a crap shoot. Really hard to nail down if some people actually know how to use a tape measure :/

1951 ford, TripleSix, MJ1657 and 3 others Thank this.
  10. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Usually if it's a new item. Machinery or equipment. The measurements are accurate.
    When it's a teardown or relocation, that's when the crap shoot begins.
    My loads probably around 95% accurate.

snowman_w900 Thanks this.
  11. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I always padded the dimensions on the first state, as long as it didn't put me in pilot car territory. Get there to pick it up and measure it myself. Then order the rest of the permits.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.