Orientation in Carlisle, PA

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Blue Hotel, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    That's crazy. Well, maybe for not the first offense if they get on you... I was on this forum for the entirety of orientation (except the driving time lol) and no one cared. That was in Charlotte though. Probably helped that I knew what I was doing though.

Florida Playboy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    Yea they definitely don't tolerate that in Carlisle. Nor should they, IMO. If a new hire can't sit through class without their phone in hand then chances are they won't be able to drive without it either.

4. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Yes, for me it wasn't really a relearn just reversing some steps. The procedures I've developed over my years of driving were virtually identical to Schneider's just in a slightly different order.

Also, I guess steaming music through your phone while driving is a no-no since the phone has to be stowed and off?

5. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    no. set it up prior to driving. wink wink. no different than the radio. phone doesnt have to be off. just not used for making or taking calls and obviously not for texting etc while in motion.

Florida Playboy Thanks this.
  6. Blue Hotel

Blue Hotel Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    So when they do the medical exam, do they check your current long form? Or do they not care since they're giving you a whole new thing?

7. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    They don't care. You're getting a new one anyway.

8. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    Should be done with day 2! How goes it?

9. 91B20H8

91B20H8 Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2012
    The Heart of the North, Mi
    Betcha a foodstamp the OP is pie-eyed and scratching his head about whether he chose the right boots and saying to himself "I have to memorize this whole book?" Take it one day at a time, you'll get it. Ask questions even if you think you know what your doing.

Friday Thanks this.
  10. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    A food stamp in Carlisle? You're on!

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  11. Blue Hotel

Blue Hotel Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Ha ha, no I'm not scratching my head. Sorry, I would have updated a lot earlier but we've been really busy and I had a roommate who talked a lot.

I just finished week 2, which is with the trainer. I have been moved on to week three, which starts on Monday.

I think some things have changed since you guys went through. They sent a bunch of us home to meet with our trainers. Both my roommate and I had to head back to our hometowns to meet up with our TE's. We went from Virginia to Pennsylvania, then up to New Hampshire and back down again. The driving was pretty easy since it was at night, the main problem is that I can barely see the tandems on the passenger side because it's so dark.

I guess if I had to use my energy worrying, it would be about this final week and not the previous two.

My biggest concern is the alley docking (45 degrees). I wasn't taught that in my CDL school. I'm still not doing so well at it after two weeks, but we didn't get much time either. I haven't hit anything or come close to hitting anything, but I get the feeling the tester will be like "no, no, you're taking too long, go away now, maybe Swift will hire you but I doubt it." I need a lot of pull ups and the real world spaces are so small. If I do get the job, I will probably get fired after a shipper complains I take too long to back in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.