OTR vs Oil Field Work

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by theurge, Jan 11, 2013.

1. RoadHungryTrucker

RoadHungryTrucker Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Virginia
    I'll be moving to Texas this summer and trying to decide between flat bed otr, or oil field. If I go otr I'm thinking maverick, oil field Schneider.
    Any suggestions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jxu417

jxu417 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Midwestern OH
    I have a buddy who runs in the RSW Division (Regional SouthWest) for Maverick, he loves it, great miles and pay, home every weekend. I pull a skateboard for 'em too in a Dedicated Divison (OH, KY, TN, IN, IL, PA, VA)- same with me. Good luck with your decision.

RoadHungryTrucker Thanks this.
  4. trucsugma5

trucsugma5 Light Load Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Morrison, Co
    Uncle Ben, what company are you driving for and what are you hauling? I think a minimum of $900 gross per week @ minimum 41 weeks out, and APU or idle ok, should be the norm...

5. trucsugma5

Jan 15, 2013
    Morrison, Co
    What do you mean "great pay"? I think what counts is actual yearly gross as reported on W-2, total 401k match, and total days off.

jxu417 Thanks this.
  6. jxu417

jxu417 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Midwestern OH
    Yeah, my point exactly, thank you for driving my point home. Although Maverick currently does not match on 401K....maybe someday...

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  7. trucsugma5

Jan 15, 2013
    Morrison, Co
    No, really.... how much is great pay - exactly? I guess everyone's got a different number in mind, but I found out that anything over $45,000 on my w-2 (regardless amount of hours put in but with at least 60 days at home) is great pay - and i really just cant envision having a roof and supporting a family without any other help, i really dont know how single earner families living near metropolitan areas do it..... just curious-Thanks for your reply,Heavy LM ...

jxu417 Thanks this.
  8. jxu417

jxu417 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Midwestern OH
    I was a brand newbie Nov. 2011. After all training was over, went out on my own Jan.1,2012. I made over $45,000 on my very first year. Correct me if I am wrong, because I admit I do not know about van companies, but I have yet to see any results like that made by a newbie in their first year pulling a van. Thats what I am calling great pay- especially from a first year rookies point of view. I have well over a year's experience now, and ya hear lots of people sayin stuff like "stick it out (poor pay, poor equipment, at a less-than-stellar enviroment/company) for your first year and then you will have better opportunities open up for you. Well, I am just saying that I skipped that whole stick it out crap because I love where I am, who I drive for, the equipment that I have, the amount of freight I get (5-7 loads each week), AND to top it all off I am home like clock-work almost every Friday evening around 6-8pm to be home with my family of 4 that I support. The trade off for me??? I work MY ### OFF 110% of the time. That was really what my comment was about. Thanks for the question.

trku and Fiddle Sticks Thank this.
  9. Rockdoctor

Rockdoctor Medium Load Member

If you are moving to Texas then it is oil field all the way. More $$$, you can find a job where you get home every night if you want that LOL, and you should have people beating down your door with 8 years exp.

RoadHungryTrucker Thanks this.
  10. trucsugma5

Jan 15, 2013
    Morrison, Co
    Wow, that's the kind of stuff I wanna hear. Nicely put, Heavy LM. Thanks for your reply - i wish more drivers were less downers and focus on the positives. Have a great day, thanks for being safe, and much blessings to your neck of the woods. :)

jxu417 Thanks this.
  11. RoadHungryTrucker

RoadHungryTrucker Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Virginia

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.