Out of hours at shipper/receiver

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by johnnyd2u, Oct 10, 2009.

1. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2009
    virginia beach, virginia
    I think I may have the solution. They now have for sale "Digi Glasses" they record audio & video for up to four hours. Slip them babies on when you start talking to the cop and you should be good. They look like a pair of regular glasses.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO

Once again I have to step in and tell everyone that the US Marshalls Service has NOTHING to do with trucking! They are the Judicial police force! They protect all of the FEDERAL COURTS and Judges! Calling the US Marshalls will get for your troubles a good laugh from whoever answers the phone and a short lecture as to the "mission" of the US Marshalls Service!

It's the DOT you need to call about being told to move or ANYTHING that has to do with trucking and rules violations. The CDL is THEIR puppy not the Marshalls!

Now, the US Marshalls service does operate a prisoner transfer bus line and they also lease the service to owner operators and also a truck side for hauling certain products that we will NEVER get to haul and you can tell these trucks as they have 3 drivers at all times in them with weapons and are followed by 2 Ford Explorers with K40 base load antennas and really dark window tinting!

The service also handles most of the sales of confiscated cars and trucks seized in raids and seizures and hands out the monies to the various police services.

You will also find US Marshalls helping out other agencies during protests and other things or events that need a large police presence.
    But as for calling a US Marshall because you are ordered off of a properity or a DOT officer wants to inspect your sealed load or you're being "abused" by a shipper or receiver, Go ahead but be prepared to answer the question "do you really believe everything you hear on the CB?" Also you will only find a US Marshalls office at the same town where a Federal Court is located so if you are in BFE and it's 100 miles or more to that town do you REALLY think the Marshalls service is going to come down to "save your log book to CYA?" Not in this century!

The reason I know this? Yep I believed what I had heard over the years listening to the CB and talk around the counter at the truck stops and finally it happened! I thought I had a situarion and called the Marshalls service and got a laugh and a lecture and the number to the Washington PR office! I called that number when I got home and had a wonderful chat with the head of the PR Department and even wrote a story that I sent to Truckers News back in 1999 but they didn't publish it!

If it has to do with the log book call the DOT but do try to get the officer to sign your book but in this day in age use that cell phone video camera! As the saying goes "a picture is worth a thousand words" so how many are a video worth?

Then there is your dispatcher! How hard is it to call/send a message to them WAY BEFORE you run out of hours to see what they would have you to do? Sometimes a call from the dispatcher to the shipper/receiver can help! Also ask the S/R if there is a place close by where you can park.

Good Luck
    Rollover

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  4. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    Not ALL of it IS bull! I know of three instances where US Deputy Marshal's were involved.

1) Hauling HazMat
    2) Hauling US Mail
    3) Hauling Voting ballots and counting machines (ballots where people already voted)

5. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    HazMat: Nope that's DOT!
    mail and voting machines. I'd think the voting machines might be the FBI if a crime was involved HMMM we never touched on that!

6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I know a federal marshall. I assure you that they would not be interested.

If you like, I have linked the web site for their home page and their info. It will provide you with the description of the duties and their interests.

http://www.usmarshals.gov/

7. 6-pack

6-pack Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Terrell, TX
    Old thread, but CB lawyers made me dig it up... my personal recommendation is line 5, off duty driving, from shipper/receiver to a safe parking spot... at end of 10 hr break, return to shipper/receiver and start your clock.... easy peasy, and even legal

Dharok Thanks this.
  8. The Admiral

The Admiral Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Akron,Ohio
    From an old guys point of view. Well i'm going to be tight on hours if I try and make that pick up. Hello dispatch, better reschedule that pick up for tomorrow. I'm on my way to a place that has hot food and showers. Problem solved!

brian991219 and scythe08 Thank this.
  9. Eowyn

Eowyn Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2016
    TN
    I didn't read whole thread so I don't know if anyone mentioned "Safe Haven?" It's not something you can use often, but if for some reason you need time to get parked somewhere safely, like this situation, or accident, or the pilot catches fire right before you get there. Call your dispatch AND safety Dept. As long as the reason is bona fide you have the right to get to the closes parking area with out a penalty.

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Safe Haven is a truckstop counter myth. Point to me in the FMCSA and I'll believe you, but you will never find it.
    Now there is a "Safe Haven" term for specific types of Hazmat, but that has to do where those type of loads can be parked, and they can only be parked at a Safe Haven.

not4hire and brian991219 Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Disconnect from trailer. Bobtail away. Personal transport.

Leave the freight to them to deal with. Let the yelling begin. However do get in touch with your company and warn them what is coming.

Ive done it a few times. They have not stopped yelling all these years.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.