Owner operator break even points

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by monstertrucking1, May 26, 2015.

1. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    the thing is we know what our break even point is and we also know how much profit we need to make...... and really the only reason you want to know is to see if you can pay less so you can make a higher profit...

SL3406 and gokiddogo Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blanco

blanco Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Gwinnett County, GA
    Breaking even? sheeet. I'm in this biz to make money, not to break even.

"I can get my own authority and bypass your % and work straight with brokers? Why would I need to work with you?" [/owner operator]

thelushlarry Thanks this.
  4. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Maybe you should ask...
    What do you need to make money? No matter if it's % or miles.

5. monstertrucking1

monstertrucking1 Bobtail Member

May 7, 2015
    Columbus, ga
    So knowing a general break even point of the market of drivers is only good so that I can pay drivers less? That is your opinion? Think about that for a second. If I knew what your break even point was how is that going to help me pay you less? If I offer you something and its not worth your money, you won't take the load. It doesnt matter if I know your break even or not.

6. monstertrucking1

monstertrucking1 Bobtail Member

May 7, 2015
    Columbus, ga
    Can you please point out where anyone on this thread said you should do loads for break even dollars or someone should work just to break even? I know I certainly didn't so I was just wondering where you would get that idea from.

7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    You said yourself you were wondering if you were paying too much, which leads one to believe you'd like to pay less when that statement is read. If you're getting good quality people to move loads for you why not just build on that? Build a reputation of having quality people delivering undamaged product every time. The people you hire are the face of your company and personally if all is going great right now I wouldn't chance it to keep 5% more for yourself. I'm not saying that's your intent, I'm saying that's how your posts are coming across.

flood Thanks this.
  8. almatyk3

almatyk3 Bobtail Member

May 25, 2015
    Here is the answer your question; u charge 22% that's wayyyyy tooooo much, so u gotta charge 10% which is average!
    But is not something u wanted to hear, but that's the truth

kimbosa Thanks this.
  9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Here how it works with few companies I know in metro Detroit. Owners pay their own bobtail and have trailers. Owners keep 90% and companies try not to go below $2 per mile, so owner gets about $1.80. Hope it helps

10. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

If someone isn't a good teacher they shouldn't teach.

Half the replies aren't giving answers, doesn't help the OP learn at all.

monstertrucking1 Thanks this.
  11. bigdogpile

bigdogpile Road Train Member

May 16, 2010
    fontana ca
    you should focus less on BEP and try to figure out your costs per mile to run that truck..process of elimination if you will..trk #1 may have a BEP way less than guy #2 and if you try to "even up your BEP" to another trk you could fail..COSTS per mile are much more important numbers anyway, especially fixed costs..

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    flood and monstertrucking1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.