Pacemaker, and cdl

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by LMB, Aug 10, 2015.

1. LMB

LMB "Olde Goat"

Aug 12, 2007
    Rocky Point NC
    What is the real info on driving with a pacemaker

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    As long as you have had yours for 6 months or longer with no issues, get it checked regularly, haven't had any major episodes and it has resolved the reasons why it was ouit in you would qualify for a one year medical card. You'll need a note from your cardiologist stating why it was put in, how long he's been your doctor, battery life, how often he requires to see you (this should be no longer then 12 month s), and how well the pacemaker is working for the issues it was put in for. I have one and have gotten my medical card every time because I have that note. Depending on the carrier you decide to go with, they may want something more like a stress test. Call and speak with the medical examiner and ask what they'll need from you to pass.

4. LMB

LMB "Olde Goat"

Aug 12, 2007
    Rocky Point NC
    I just received my pacemaker last week, been driving for 40 years. Do I have to wait 6 months to go back to work? My cardiologist is okay with me returning to work in 5 weeks, and has given me a written slip stating that

5. redoctober83

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Like I said, you'll need to contact your company's dot medical examiner and ask them what the guidelines are for them. I know of a couple carriers that won't hire you because you have a pacemaker.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    When I pulled reefers, one of the drivers had a pacemaker put in and the only reason he could't pass the DOT physical after that is because the doctor couldn't get his heart to stabilize. Otherwise, he would still be driving.

7. BooshWhacker

BooshWhacker Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2014
    So thats why I see the Lead driver drop unconcious and start swerving all over the highway when I microwave a burrito.

Another Canadian driver and S M D Thank this.
  8. redoctober83

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Lol, that's funny. You must be using an MRI to microwave your burrito if that's the case.

9. redoctober83

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Did you find out what the waiting period is for you? Will you be able to go back in 5 weeks? Why did you have a pacemaker put in?

10. LMB

LMB "Olde Goat"

Aug 12, 2007
    Rocky Point NC
    I go to the DOT doc wednesday. My upper chamber and lower chamber were not in sync

11. LMB

LMB "Olde Goat"

Aug 12, 2007
    Rocky Point NC
    Passed my DOT, going back to work......YaY

Another Canadian driver and Mr.X Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.