Paid parking at the truck stop

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by TruckparkingAV, Nov 23, 2016.

1. TruckparkingAV

TruckparkingAV Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Hi, I really need your honest input about paid truck stops
    I want to build a truck parking alongside I15 in apple valley or hesperia, just parking, no fuel
    Equipped with showers, entertainment lounge, mobile mechanics, truck washers, maybe some food trucks or a standalone restaurant. Free wireless internet and power
    I am planning to have an app where you can reserve your spot inside, and pay with a cc that stays on file
    So, would you pay for an overnight parking or continue towards the TA in Ontario hoping to find a free spot

Please give me your opinion, good or bad, how much would you pay for a reserved spot and if you are an OO or company driver

PS. I used to drive trucks a long time ago, I also had a trucking business, i expanded into other business venues.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I prefer to stay up in the cool climate of Hesperia. I'd pay $15 for 12 hours on a well lit, paved lot that is fenced and secured and free of unwanted elements. All I want is good wifi and access to clean restrooms and would pay additional $10 for clean private shower room with towels.

4. TruckparkingAV

Nov 23, 2016
    thanks for your input Stexan , do you think a 12 hr time frame is more favorable for a trucker than a full 24hr? and would you like to have the option to add extra 12 , let's say if you need more time ?

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    The truck stops operate on a 24 hour model because they don't have the means to operate parking on an hourly scale, but for a place like you're contemplating I see no need to tie up a space for 24 hours when most only need 10-12 hours to complete a break then must be moving on. There's mostly night parkers but plenty of day parkers too.

Don't forget a dog run and pet bath area with small individual kennel areas while they dry.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    TruckparkingAV Thanks this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Some will need to sit for multiple days. They'd like a shaded outdoor social area maybe with BBQ pit. They'd also like 120v power access at parking site.

IndianaF150 and TruckparkingAV Thank this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I had once considered building a "Truck B&B" ... remote, inexpensive land but not far off the interstate in rural areas with milder climates. Pull through parking next to furnished "cabins" with kitchens. Maybe 8-10 units, booked much like a hotel room as far as check-in and check-out. Laundry facility, outdoor fire pits, social area, pet friendly, no idling, no APU's, no reefers. But it came to be yet another "wild idea" of mine, never to see the light of day.

Good luck with your idea. Site base and paving would be a huge expense, but without paving, the blowing dust would be miserable. Much of the Pilot is dirt lot, but only for overflow parking.

8. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    I like the Sav On model in Verona, NY. Go buy some junk in the store, get a token. Insert token upon exit.

I'm not a fan of dumping $25 / $30 at a truck stop... Also a company guy and it's hard pressing to get them to reimburse parking unless you're #### near literally right on top of you pick up or drop for the next day.

TruckparkingAV Thanks this.
  9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    And the thing about Hesperia is ... the Pilot is huge and outside of late nights after maybe 22:00, parking is almost always available and free. Granted the lot sucks out on the far back side but any free parking with no hassles in SoCal is a blessing and always capitalized on.

I'm a company driver and the company has no problem reimbursing parking costs, no matter. They realize most paid parking options have less risk of getting hit versus the general parking area with tight quarters and narrow driveways. And they know drivers won't pay for parking unless it's prudent or likely to prevent damage or possible ticket. In our case, we fill up exclusively at PFJ so we try and use them when/where possible for free showers and general free parking, and pre-paid wifi access.

All this said, there needs to be something available that they can't get elsewhere for them to justify paying if there is a free option nearby. I've done some research in the past involving marketing to truckers and you're likely to discover what I discovered ... You'll find truck drivers are a stingy bunch as a whole, both company drivers, and lease/owner ops. Maybe 1/4 of them see value and worth in premium or unusual offerings.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    Santamonican and TruckparkingAV Thank this.
  10. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    I don't like to pay, but will if the stop is nice enough. Good food and easy in and out. Is a must. I like the food truck idea. I love me some taco trucks. Also clean restrooms

11. TruckparkingAV

Nov 23, 2016
    the investment is quite high, i am looking at a few lots right next to the freeway, the land is the least expensive part of the investment, grading, pavement, fence, security systems, gates, lighting can easily go up to few millions of dollars
    I used to drive and i know that especially in socal it's sometimes difficult to find a parking spot. I am aware that it has to be something special to be able to get drivers attention, not only clean showers but easy to get in and out, also an easy way to reserve a spot for the night
    so , i am trying to get as much feedback is possible before committing to a land purchase

Santamonican Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.