Pay off truck early?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Wild Murphy, Sep 4, 2015.

1. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    We all agree, pay it off. If you find that you are paying to much in taxes. Go home take some time off and you won't owe so much. You could do the opposite work your butt off and pay lots of taxes.

That is what having a paid off truck gives you. Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wild Murphy, bigguns and rollin coal Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
  4. Jerry12

Jerry12 Heavy Load Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Try this: I have an interest payment say 350.00 per month or no interest payment. Then, there are deductions & depreciation. its sounds complex...keep it simple: remove the interest payment.

5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I agree too. Pay it off. I remember going 'round and 'round with a friend that always had newer trucks and I had old iron that was paid off. He had a "comfy" life, and couldn't take a day off if he wanted to, so always had newer trucks and big payments.( come weekends, he'd be working while I was home with my family) It's all how you want to live, I guess. You want 2 ( or more) new cars, 500K dollar house, new Harley's, etc., no, old paid off iron may not be the best, but trucking, to me, especially my O/O years, came 2nd, ( it's 1 reason why I became an O/O, so I could tell the boss, um, sorry, not today, and not have to worry about that big payment due) and my kids and home life ( nothing too fancy) came 1st. I did ok the way I did it.

Derailed and tucker Thank this.
  6. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Pay it off if you will still have rainy day money after its paid off.

Example you empty your checking account to pay it off then you have a major breakdown and no cash flow

77fib77 and Wild Murphy Thank this.
  7. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    You know , most places would have gave you a free Prostar.
    I'd post the link to the poor Knight fool who got a 2012 Prostar for free, but I'm on the iPhone

8. Wild Murphy

Wild Murphy HAPPY TRUCK DRIVER

Mar 25, 2014
    None whatsoever.

9. Wild Murphy

Mar 25, 2014
    Yes, I have considered this and will only pay it off with a fully funded maintenance account.

10. Wild Murphy

Mar 25, 2014
    I appreciate everyone's response. I was like minded before but I am sold on the idea now. My goal will be to pay off early. Thanks for your advice!

11. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Im with Lester. Pay it off early as long as you still have back up money. Or back up money and credit card to throw rebuilt tranny on, or any other example.

Wild Murphy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.